SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christine283

Starting Veggies

christine283
13 years ago

Ok - full-blown newb here, so please bear with me. I've been reading over some threads (namely the soil and water retention ones) the last couple of days and am wondering if how my husband and I have this thought out -- or probably not thought out, depending on how you look at it -- is all WRONG. I think I get the PWT stuff, and the reasoning for Al's mixes totally makes sense (oddly enough, since I've been trying to read in bits and pieces and keep a teething baby appeased all at once...I feel like I'm running out of time to plant!)

Anyway, my husband is about done building a raised cedar bed (on legs, not sitting on ground, about 3.5 x 1.75 ft, 16in deep). He put the slats on the bottom about an inch apart and covered with insect screen. Now, as we were not "enlightened" on the properties of soil when we bought the two HUGE bags of Miracle-Gro potting mix, I'm thinking all that is going to run straight through when we plant. Should he go back and make the slats closer? And would I still need some kind of wicking mechanism?

Is it worth trying to get stuff to grow with the MG? After reading some of Al's stuff, I think I see the reason why so many of my houseplants have perished over the past few years. Could I just amend with some pine bark fines and/or some other mediums?

I've got some other various small containers I was going to use, and I'll use some sort of wicking system. I have some seeds for squash, zucchini, lettuce, green onion, parsley, chives, and basil, and some tomato, rosemary, and strawberry transplants.

I have clearly gotten in over my head. Most people start out with one or two plants...

I know I had a couple of other questions, but they're floating somewhere in a brain that's going on only a couple hours of sleep, and the baby just woke up...hopefully I can find some spare moments throughout the day to hop back on...thanks for ANY help in advance!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting