SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara82lee

Crossandra marmalade

sara82lee
10 years ago

I bought a crossandra a few weeks ago and put it in a very large planter (too big to bring inside). I have grown to really love it. It blooms without letting up and has a kind of tropical look with glossy bright green leaves. Plus its a little different than what everyone else seems to have, and I like that. Really pretty, and really "cool."

I searched for them here and only found a few mentions of them, which was very surprising. It is listed as an annual, but I have read that it is hardy in zones 9-11. .. I'm in zone 8a. I've had several "annuals" in the past survive the winter, like annual dianthus almost every time, and sometimes snap dragons. Has anyone ever grown crossandra and had it survive the winter?

I've also read that some folks bring them in the house over the winter. Since it's in such a large planter that would not be possible for me, unless I took it out of that planter and put it in something else. Would that even be possible? Most things I try to transplant that already have a root system that's spread out, unless they are perennial, do not survive afterward. Does crossandra have roots that are sensitive like that?

I'd love to hear your thoughts about anything regarding this plant, really, even if you don't know the answer to my questions. There is so little about crossandra here, so I'd love to hear your stories if you have them!

Thanks for your input.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County