SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arielletea

Four O'Clocks & Forget Me Nots

arielletea
13 years ago

I live in zone 9 and this is my first year with an area to garden. I live in an apt. and the sun hits each part of the soil for about 1-2 hours each, so it's basically going to need to be a full shade garden. I got four o clocks (marvel of peru) and forget me nots (Victoria blue)because i want it to be as colorful as possible. The garden has a few zinnias and snapdragons i attempted to plant which are all dying, and it has horrible soil. So I have decided to dig out all the soil and put in new soil (which is a time consuming project). However I can't help but feel that mid July is too late to start this project. Is it too late to plant these shade loving babies if I start germinating them today and plant them in about a week or two in pots before i transfer to the ground while i dig it up? And if I do plant them and they grow, since they are spring/summer bloom how shall i save them during the winter? The forget me nots say they are perennial biennials so maybe those I can plant? ( the four o clocks are annuals but those are what I'm the most excited for).

Any advice on what to do with my garden patch and these shade loving flowers would be much appreciated. I know it's a long post!

Thank You!

Comments (4)