SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imnotbob

getting back into gardening want experienced advice

imnotbob
15 years ago

Hello all let me first say hi. I am newly registered but have been reading the forum for several months. I live in the north eastern bay area zip 94591 to be exact and I want to get back into gardening. I used to grow tomatoes and peppers and a few flowers when I was around 10 years old and I always used pots. Now that I am 25 and actually eat many vegetables I want to grow a garden again.

I have a backyard that has about 20 by 30 of usable space and gets plenty of sun. We never really use our backyard so it is a not very well weeded etc. It doesn't tend to get overgrown with weeds just taller grasses. So I thought that doing 3 or 4 raised beds at 4x8 ft in size would be okay. My yard is completely flat.

I want to grow things like tomatoes, carrots, various peppers, bell, cayenne, banana etc. bush beans broccoli, herbs etc. I would like to grow a variety of veggies and herbs. I am just not big into salad ingredients, I dont enjoy lettuce at all so I am not worried about those types of things. And I dont think I will do potatoes or onions.

But what I would like if it is not to much to ask is what varieties might do well in my area and what might give me the great taste. I am considering doing a soil test but if I do raised beds would I need that. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of available seeds in stores around here so I plan on using seedsofchange as a source for seed. There is a local nursery that I would pick the brain of but any advice would be great.

Comments (10)