SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudpuppy42

Help! Plants must be dug NOW!

mudpuppy42
18 years ago

This situation is a bit unusual (Thank Heavens!), but I think some of you bulb folks will be able to advise me. Some friends whose house burned to the ground last week will also lose their beautiful garden unless we can move it before the bulldozers come in for clean-up. All we can think of is to dig up everything and put in pots until such time as the plants can be put back in the ground. It's a devastating thing to lose one's house and all possessions, and so we're hoping to at least be able to rescue what remains of the garden. Many of the plants needing to be dug are Oriental and Asiatic lilies, and I'm wondering if it would be better to transfer the entire plant or--this close to the end of the season--to just dig the bulbs and store them. And what is the procedure for storing them? (Can you tell I'm inexperienced with lilies? I'm a shade gardener.) We are in zone 7 here--hot as you-know-what and nothing yet showing any signs of going dormant. So please advise me on the best way to go about this. Thanks so much for your help!--Mud

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996