SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kterlep

too many Lycoris squamigera - naked ladies - resurrection lilies

kterlep
13 years ago

So, my house was built in 1889. two years prior, someone released Lycoris squamigera (Naked ladies/surprise lily/resurrection lily). We moved in nearly two years ago. There are two MASSES of LC- one about 2x10, one about 24x2.

I had to take out the 2x10 area to make room for veggie garden, and the poor babies are triangle shaped - Lord knows how long they have been there. The bulbs were huge, most were 6-8", I heeled them into my veggie patch and I will put them into my flower bed out front this weekend. I know they don't like to be moved but they couldn't have been very happy where they were and at least they will have a chance to get fertilizer and grow bulb-shaped again...

I'm even more worried about the 24x2 section, because they are stuck between a brick path (which has been buried for unknown years, it was under 2-3 inches of lawn, it went to the outhouse in the back of the yard, I think, I just found it a few weeks ago, what a neat surprise!) and the foundation of our barn.

Any advice for taking the LC out of the "barn" area? the ground has a lot of gravel/rocks in it and judging by the greens alone, the bulbs must be so close together.

Is it possible that these bulbs were planted a hundred years ago (ish) and never divided? the poor babies...

I know these are expensive bulbs to buy, but does anyone ever want to trade for them? I will have hundreds (I know I need to wait to dig them up to trade until the foliage fades away)--how many of these can someone possibly want???

I think they are pretty, but I need some plants that give a little more bloom time (the house came with a tree and two hostas and the LCs, Previous Owner's best friend was his sprayer of RoundUP)

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (13)