SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamkh_gw

Commercialization of bonsai.

jamkh
17 years ago

If you trace the history of bonsai in China or Japan, you can get a better appreciation of the art of bonsai. In the olden days a bonsai is a prized possession, somewhat like a family heirloom, for the family. The training,care and the enjoyment of this bonsai is handed down from one generation to another. It is no wonder they still possess bonsai that dates back not decades but centuries. Then its possession is confined to the nobility, like the emperors in China and distinguished families in the aristocracy. As the art became available to the common people, it is natural that the bonsai is no longer held with such a high ea teem. Just imagine in the art world, if we have in the market, 200,000 paintings of Rembrandt, would any of his painting still sell for a 100 million dollars each. Diamonds are expensive today because De beers control nearly 95% of the diamond stock and release only a small quantity each year. When you flood the market with a particular product, the price must necessarily drop eg., our computers; law of demand and supply.

Now when the West came home with the art of bonsai then it became highly commercialized. You may expect the art to become refined by the participation of a larger segment of society, but unfortunately it became polluted. I wouldn't claim that the detoriation of bonsai specimens was deliberately brought about by poor bonsai teachers but more by economics. Would you pay $1000 to study the art of bonsai when the curriculum takes 4 years? Could you possibly acquire the finer points of this art within a day of instructions and at a fee of 50 to $100. I have seen the kind of bonsai specimens exhibited in the websites of supposedly bonsai masters. On a scale of 10, I would rate them at 3 or at best 4. Some even exhibit what I have come to call quick fix or souless bonsai. Agreed I have not made as many bonsai as these masters, but I have attended enough bonsai shows in Japan to have acquired the art of appreciating a classic bonsai. In all the shows I had attended I have never seen any quick fix bonsai ever win a prize. Nay, to say it never won a prize is rating it too highly already when in fact I have never seen any bonsai made by chopping the main trunk ever exhibited there. Is it any wonder that my message had been called "horse crap" by some supposedly bonsai greats? I have also come across articles on how to present a tree for exhibition, where the specimen is nothing but a chopped thick stem with a heavy crop of branches at the top. Even the size of the stem is out of proportion with the height of the tree and the size of the pot. Is it any wonder that a newbie thinks that he can go to a nursery and buy a 5-6 foot maple, chop its trunk about 2 feet up and train it for bonsai? In true bonsai thickening a stem is never done artificially but it allows nature to take its course. Pruning in bonsai is centered on the thin branches and growing tips and is a continual affair not a one time job. Is it any wonder that the bonsai specimens entered in bonsai club shows in America do look artificially faked and lack the beauty and gracefulness of their specie in nature. Bonsai after all is miniaturizing a tree to look like its natural kind.

I know many readers will still claim that my ideas are "horse crap", but I feel that I owe this forum a duty to keep the art of bonsai on its proper track and not pollute it by commercialization.

Comments (40)

Sponsored