SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
little_dani

Bulbs, bulbs, bulbs! Everywhere!

little_dani
18 years ago

This was my first year of planting bulbs 'en masse'. I planted hundreds of bulbs, and I know a little more about them now.

I planted a lot of daffodils and they were beautiful. I will plant more next year, and I hope these will return.

I carefully researched and selected varieties of tulips, chilled them for weeks and weeks. They did grow, did come up and have pretty foliage, but the blooms were a bust. I will never bother with a tulip again, unless the next ice age reaches South Texas.

Hyacinths are the same as tulips. It is just too hot here, maybe. They just don't do what they are supposed to do here.

We have good luck with amarylis, and I would like to have a lot more of them. I love the big brassy red ones. The pink are pretty, but masses of red ones are great! I also had some called 'Amputo' that were white, beautiful, and the blooms seemed to last and last for the longest time!

Byzantine gladiolus, ranunculous, iris......they are excellent here. Iris has to be Siberian's or Louisianna Iris, or Morea Iris. Bearded iris does not do well here.

I WILL have hundreds of freesias and anemones next year. Does anyone know if they will return? What do I need to do to insure that they will come back? These were the most wonderful surprise for me, as I didn't know what to expect from them. I was lucky that I had planted a lot of them. They are blooming and blooming, and the freesias smell so wonderful!

Alliums are just about to come into bloom, so I am excited to see what they will do. We are limited on the varieties that will do well here, but I like the habit of the allium, and I like the difference in foliage, and the difference in the shape of the bloom. I will have these in the garden for those qualities.

The lilies are just coming on. We will have hundreds of them soon, too. LOL

Does anyone know the best place to buy the freesias and anemones?

TIA

Janie

Comments (2)