SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njoynit

Amaranthus looks like swiss cheese

18 years ago

Something in my long flwerbed is eating all my amaranthus leaves.I have a few different ones growing,a purple(deep pretty purple leaves...if remove glasses and step back 15 feet) love-lies-bleeding,josephs coat,another purple,but has a metalic sheen to it.I see alot of different bugs in this bed,so no idea which one is doing the damage..the one I see on the plants looks similar to a fly,but longer.I see these small caterpillar type looking things...some are creamish colored others are green,a pale green.I also scatter some white moth looking things when I water this bed. growing in same bed is mums/salvia/zinnias/society garlic/cannas/Brugmansia/BES/Sage& 2 rosebushes.

Whatever they are...they are only eating amaranthus leaves..are holes...worse than dot-to-dot.They are on one other leaved plant further down in bed(by 40 ft.....)my dauntra its small white flowers with purple centers& were NOT this way last year....but not as ad as the amaranthus.I do have a few purple amaranthus at other end of yard...no holes at all...perfect foliage.

Comments (6)