SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topie_gw

Hanging basket questions

topie
14 years ago

Hi everyone. This year, I'd like to try planting some annuals in hanging baskets, and have many questions about this. I've had good success with container gardening over the years in pots, but did not have any luck with my hanging baskets a few years ago. Would like to try again.

Baskets will hang under ceiling of our porch. Would like to use these wire baskets I still have from my last attempt:

{{gwi:5518}}

During my first attempt, I planted these using those coconut coir inserts, and am wondering if that was one of my mistakes. I've read some older posts on this forum that said the coconut coir inserts either dry out too quickly, or allow the plants to dry out too quickly?

Would it be better if I used a plastic container as an insert instead? I have some old plastic baskets lying around...would these work better than the coconut liners?

{{gwi:5519}}

I'm also wondering about annual plant selection...can anyone recommend some annuals? Would like something cascading with blooms, or even just attractive foliage. For some reason, I just don't really like petunias, so anything other than those would be great.

The baskets will hang from our porch, which faces north. When I tried this a few years ago, I thought I should plant annuals that preferred shade, but now I'm re-thinking that. The porch gets direct morning sun from the east, bright shade during the afternoon, and direct sun in the late afternoon from the west. Would I be better off going with plants that like sun, or part sun, instead of shade?

Last question: Will I have to water the baskets every day during summer?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)