SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Another person with questions about veggies in pots...

Hello all! I am a regular at the Cottage Garden forum, but wanted to come over here to ask you guys about growing veggies/edibles in pots. I noticed that there were other posts on this topic, but I hope you will not mind my starting another one, as I have a few specific questions.

I have been wanting to extend my veggie garden for awhile now. The only trouble is that there is little room left in the yard (it is populated with a great many flowers). So I had the idea of growing some in pots along an ugly sidewalk that is in full sun. I am starting to plan for next spring.

The main question I have is regarding zuchinni and other squash. Do they do well in pots? Do the 'regular' sized zuchinni plants work just as well in pots as the dwarf sorts do?

Do Eggplants do well in pots? I tried growing them in the ground once and they did not do much. I am willing to give them another go though. Is there anything I should know about growing them in containers?

Last summer I tried to grow a little 'container cucumber' in a pot. It did okay considering how late I planted it. But then later the leaves and vines started to shrivel up. I am not sure if it was the soil that was the problem (I don't really think it was) or the fact that I had only one plant and there wasn't anything else for it to pollinate with. Is there any tricks to growing them in pots?

Another thing I am looking to grow in pots is beans. Are the vine sort just as easy to grow as the bush?

Are there any veggies that do well in hanging baskets?

Last question. What is the best type of pot to use? The past few years I have grown a tomato in one of my terra cotta pots and they have done well. One even made it to seven feet tall. Do all veggies do as well in the terra cotta as tomatoes, or do some prefer plastic? I have several heavy-duty, black plastic pots that I think would do well. I would imagine that the plastic would retain mosture better than the porous TCotta. What are your favorite kind of pots?

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

CMK

Comments (4)