SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruet

Perlite as Turface Replacement in Al's Gritty Mix

ruet
15 years ago

I've spent a good chunk of the past two months trying to track down a Turface replacement here in Spain. So far I've tested every kitty litter and industrial absorbent I've come across and none of them hold up. Raw Sepiolite/Attapulgite also turn to mush. I've given up on all of them. Asking for LECA sand at garden centers yields either funny looks or "sure, how many pallets would you like?"

So it looks like the closest I can get is Perlite, pre-screened to the 3-5mm range. 100L for 7 bucks. A few considerations of using Perlite instead of Turface I´ve figured out so far:

1. I'm looking at a lower CEC and less water retention as I understand it, requiring more frequent watering and either a CRF or fairly constant fertigation.

2. I see conflicting reports on whether perlite breaks down or not. Mine would be exposed to freezing temps, which I suspect would be what makes the difference if it in fact does break down. I'd like this mix to hold up for a couple years, so this is my main concern. Lowest it ever gets around here is maybe 20ºF one day out of the year.

3. I'm guessing perlite will have less thermal mass than Turface to resist temperature changes -- it gets wicked hot in the summer with 2 solid months of no rain, no highs under 86º and several days over 100º. Spain is home to Europe's only desert.

Any and all comments/suggestions welcome!

Comments (6)