SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forestrygirl_gw

Fattening up a Benjamine Fig

ForestryGirl
18 years ago

Hello all!

I was just given a gift of a younger ficus(s) and I need some advice (never had an indoor bonsai before, just outdoor). First of all it looks like someone dumped a handful of seeds into the middle of the pot and never bothered to thin the plant. After inspection I have concluded that most would not be easily seperated without damnaging the plant to much (a few I may be able to thin or cut back). Is it inconcievable to grow a ficus as a clump style? I have only ever seen then as single specimens (often with spectacular roots).

Also I was thinking of pruning back the upper stems in order to encourage greater branch growth lower on the plant to force the main trucks to fatten up, is this effective on ficus or should I just give up on it as bonsai and dump it in a big pot to grow for the next 10 years? :-) The person who bought it for me didnt realize that the best bonsai come from the ugliest, oldest plants in the nursary and I just don't know if this plant will grow fast enough to be a good bonsai candiate. It has really nice leaves thou.

Any adice? Thankyou!

Comments (3)

Sponsored