SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strouper2

What a Major Disappointment

strouper2
17 years ago

I planted 290 bulbs in the fall 100 Crocus and 190 Species Tulips. I thought that this spring my front yard was going to like a fantasyland. Instead everything was so so at best. For starters I followed directions on how far apart to plant everything and they turned out way too far apart from each other. Then the species tulips that came up normal had blooms that were much smaller than I expected about the size of a half dollar. The other ones donÂt have any stems and look more like water lilies then species tulips. This is the 1st time that IÂve had species and didnÂt really know what to expect. I decided to plant them when I read that regular tulips didnÂt come back every year and when I was going up the street last year and saw this absolutely gorgeous flower growing all my itself, it was a reddish orange color and the bloom was about 2 & ½ inches wide. Well before it had a chance to die I cut it off and took it to the local nursery to find out what it was and they said that it was a species tulip so right then I decided that next year I wanted to have a lot of these. Now after 190 disappointments I wonder what went wrong. Did they not get cold enough or did I just buy my bulbs from the wrong place? I purchased these from a popular online supplier. Now IÂm wondering what to do for next year? Do I dig everything up and plant them closer together in the fall or should I look into purchasing different bulbs? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments (16)