SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparrowsoup

Repotting in January... am I crazy?

sparrowSoup
11 years ago

I recently moved to Minneapolis from Los Angeles, and have been trying to keep my succulent collection alive. I brought a few cuttings from my original garden in CA, and they have rooted and stayed alive, although have not flourished. I just got a nice new florescent light for them to sit under, so I'm hoping that will turn things around.

I've really benefited from all the advice here- just gathered up some ingredients for my first (modified to what I have) batch of Al's succulent soil mix from this thread http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg111319389323.html
I hope to use regular garden soil instead of fir bark, and either corse sand OR decomposing gravel. I couldn't find vermiculite, dolomitic lime or gypsum... but I'm still thinking it will be better than the peat-heavy soil they are in now.

My question is this: In my excitement about my new mix, which should make my succulents much happier than they are currently, I'm chomping at the bit to replant asap! Would the benefits of repotting early (indoors, with a grow light) out-weigh the idiocy of repotting in the dead of winter?

Comments (5)