SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chateauclubcrest

Did I start my Caladiums too early?

chateauclubcrest
18 years ago

It was an unusually sunny warm February day here in Cincy. I walked into Lowe's today looking for something else but couldn't resist buying some summer bulbs.

I bought some caladiums and thought I'd try to start them early. It's been years since I had Caladiums and the last time I bought them from the greenhouse already growing.

So next I'm at fiancee's place, so I wasn't able to check in with the Gardenweb folks before I committed the following atrocity. (He still has dial-up! That'll be fixed when I move in!) I put them in pots, watered them and left them on the windowsill.

Once home, I go online and now I discover that caladiums have to be in a really warm place to sprout. Fiancee keeps his house at about 58 when he isn't home, so I'm starting to think I've committed a vicious horticultural crime!

So, what do I do now? Should I dig'em back up and let 'em dry out?

Any thoughts or advice?

I've also got some elephant ears that I plan to plant directly in the ground come spring...any advice regarding that is appreciated as well. I've never grown them before, and I'm hoping that the deer around here don't find them too tasty!

Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor