SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemacres

What to Use for Rooftop Self -Watering Container

chemacres
15 years ago

I am trying to come up with a one-piece design for a container system to cover an angled garage top. My basic idea is to frame with 2x4' ever couple of feet and use some sort of liner to drape over the boards and create dams of water an inch or two deep. For the material holding the growing mix horizon, I have some stiff plastic sheets (the stuff they put in between layers of bottles on pallets) which could be tacked onto the wood and supported underneath by wick chambers (wide mouth gallon jugs or perforated drain pipe).

Could a strong soil netting be nailed in plastic as the material holding the growing mix. I'm also going to try just using pails and I have a truck bedliner, but I'd like to see if I could come up with something elegant. I also could use some suggestions on how to rig shading. I've thought of using corn as a wind and sun screen every few feet, but that might not be enough. For the growing mix, I have access to a lot of great leaf compost which is free. What other amendments would be needed? I did some small scale rooftop growing using it last year and stuff got kind of yellow (no N2 ? ) and the surface dried out. Thanks.

Comment (1)