SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justin_07

New to Bonsai...Help needed

16 years ago

I guess I should start this by mentioning that I'm almost completely new to bonsai growing. I've read a few books, etc. but this is the first time I've "tried the real thing," so to speak.

I recently purchased a Jade tree bonsai (about 7') from a bonsai nursery at a garden show. It seems to have a fair amount of new growth, and (I'm sorry if I sound utterly hopeless) some of the larger branches are woody near the trunk and become less so the further out they extend. The question becomes, then, how much should I prune this tree, and do I need to prune it at all? Also, if pruning is required, can I simply pinch off new growth, or should I use small pruning shears?

Secondly, I am keeping the tree indoors by a window that gets direct morning sunlight and stays pretty bright the remainder of the day. Is this suitable? I live in the deep south where there are aphids aplenty, and I've heard that Jade trees are very prone to aphid attacks. Because of this, I'm a little worried about keeping it outside.

So, in conclusion, should I prune my tree and where should I keep it? I'm very sorry about my ignorance, but I would like to keep this tree alive :).

Thanks so much for your patience.

Comments (2)

Sponsored