SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katskan41

Growing conifer seedlings in yogurt containers?

katskan41
15 years ago

Hi all. As I was eating my lunch today it occured to me that those small white plastic yogurt cups from the supermarket *might* make good containers for growing first-year conifer seedlings. Any thoughts on this?

Most first year conifer seedlings are quite small (usually 6 inches tall or less) and have a fairly small root system which should fit comfortably inside the yogurt cup. At the start of their second growing season, simply use scissors to cut away the side of the yogurt cup and the seedling and soil should fall out easily, ready for potting up into a larger container. You can also recycle the used plastic cups when you are done with them.

Another benefit is that the yogurt containers are mostly white, which will not absorb nearly as much heat during summer as black or dark green plastic containers, making for cooler soil temps.

Also, the bottoms of the yogurt cups (at least the brand I buy) are raised about half an inch. It would be simple to add a series of drainage holes to the bottom of the cup. You could also punch holes in the side of the cup to allow greater air flow into the container soil.

Has anyone tried this before? if so, what were your results?

Thanks!

Dave

Comments (2)