SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianepmt_gw

Bulbs Sprouting Early in Zone 5 SE Michigan

dianepmt
18 years ago

I'm a newbie gardener who planted my first bulbs last October. It didn't cool down as quickly as I thought it would and we had some warm weather in November, so the alliums actually came up a good couple inches of green and even grew a little bit since then during this mild winter. Someone here advised me they would still show up in the Spring.

I don't know if it's global warming or what, but we had some crazy high temps in January (nice for me, probably not for the garden), very little snow, and now many of the other bulbs are poking through about an inch or so - orange daylilies that were planted by the previous owner and are well established, and my new tulip plantings along with a few other things that I can't rembember what they are. We are actually supposed to get a big dump of wet snow tonight that I'm hoping will put them back to sleep, but can anyone advise if there is something I should do at this point, or whether I'm likely to still see the Spring display I'm hoping for?

I'm so excited for Spring, the back yard is still a blank canvas, but I probably will get "gardener's block" again!

Comments (2)