SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlettseraph

my first swcs and sfg

scarlettseraph
14 years ago

I've done a lot of reading, and I apologize, but I'm still a little confused as to what the best method may be for me. Hopefully some of you won't mind guiding me in the right direction. This year will be my first major attempt at gardening, and I've decided to do containers and square foot. At my new house all of the sun happens to be in the front lawn and on one side of the house where it is completely paved. My containers and SFG will be on that side of the house.

This past weekend we built the SF bed and drilled my buckets for the SWC, this coming weekend I'm hoping to get the mixes made and in them so I can start planting. I guess I should also mention that I am in zone 9b/10a in Florida, so if I want to grow lettuces and the like I actually need to get moving before it gets too hot.

I made 6 (to start) containers using the doubled 5 gal bucket method, I'm lucky to have access to lots of pickle buckets. I will be trying Mel's mix in my SFG, and have lots of perlite and vermiculite from my brother (he has a massive hydroponic veggie system). I was told by one person to just use the Mel's mix in the buckets as well, but I'm not really sure (I assume everyone know, but in case not... Mel's in 1/3 each Compost, Vermiculite and Peat Moss)

I've heard and read about Al's mixes, and I feel dumb for still not being sure what to use... lol. I'm much smarter than this makes me appear, I promise! :)

But if anyone has any suggestions (the more cost friendly the better) I'm all ears! I'd like to put them together this weekend so I can get some plants started soon (I'm eager, can you tell?)

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, I appreciate your advice!

Comments (15)