SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gram999

King Coleus

gram999
17 years ago

I'm a new member, but have read this board on many occasions. Last year I grew King Coleus for the first time and wanted to propagate it. I searched through Google and came up with a discussion here on my plant. I searced and it has obviously disappeared.

The general concensus was that it couldn't be propagated. I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I cut one of the large leaves, trimmed it back but left the long stem and stuck it in water. I also cut one of the smaller leaves growing on one of the stems and stuck it in water also. The stem on the trimmed leaf rotted, but the smaller leafed one rooted. I potted it up and it grew all during the winter until something cut it off at soil level. Luckily, I noticed it before the leaves were wilted and stuck it in water again, and it is now producing new roots.

I hope this info helps some of you who inquired earlier as to whether King Coleus could be propagated. I felt somewhat elated to see roots when I thought it was a hopeless cause. Perhaps I read this on the propagation section.

Gram999

Comments (3)