SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josko021

Dissolved urea fertilizer

josko021
14 years ago

I sowed a couple of flats with lettuce and will try raising them under lights (mostly to have something to do this time of year.)

Soil is 1/2 peat moss, 1/4 perlite, 1/4 sterile compost + 1/2 cup wood ash. Now they're up, I think I should feed them a bit of nitrogen but am not sure how much to use.

My thought is to raise the N by 0.05, i.e. go from N:P:K of X:Y:Z to X+0.05:Y:Z. I have ~20 lbs (10 kg) of (dry) soil in each flat so 0.05% is approx 5 grams of N. Since urea is half nitrogen, that would be 10 gr of urea.

So my inkling is to dissolve 10 grams of urea in enough water (1/2 gal) to evenly water the flat and water the lettuce with it.

Before I go off experimenting, I'd much appreciate a sanity scrub. A couple questions pop up:

Is the NPK calculated as a percentage of dry soil weight? I was kind of surprised just how much a thoroughly watered flat weighs compared to dry weight of the ingredients.

Is increasing N by 0.05 a reasonable amount?

I understand urea volatilizes in ~ 3-4 weeks. How often should I repeat this watering to maintain this nitrogen level? (It would seem that weekly watering with 1/3 of the urea amount would make sense, but I'm not at all sure my 'common sense makes sense' here.

I'm assuming the compost in the soil supplies enough P, and the 1/2 cup of wood ash both buffered peat acidity and supplied some K. If there's anything else I should add to these flats, I'd love to hear.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living