SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biodegradeable2

Japanese quince - will they drop flower buds if repotted?

biodegradeable2
17 years ago

Does anyone have experience with Japanese quince? I need opinions/advice.

I have several pre-bonsai Japanese quince that I started from seed and this is the first year they may blossom. I see quite a few flower buds present. I am getting excited! (I must be getting old... a few years ago I do not think I would have said that about tree blossoms!) My limited understanding is, the flowers should open first before the leaves do, in late winter/early spring. The flower buds have been swelling and seem real close to opening. However, some of the foliage buds seem to be just as ready, even to the point of partially opening and starting to produce tiny leaves.

These trees were to be repotted this spring into nice bonsai pots, trimmed a bit and possibly root pruned - if needed.

I am hesitant to do the work on these trees until after the flowers open, since I am unsure if the flower blossoms may just fall off without opening, due to stress associated with the repotting, pruning, etc.

I really hate to miss the flower show these trees may have in store. I can already see glimpses of vibrant, red flower parts, through slight openings in the buds.

On the other hand, I do not know if the leaves will get large if I wait until the flowers are finished blooming, thereby making repotting riskier in some ways.

When I repot, trim & root prune a fig tree I have, the flower buds always fall off. I have read that this is to be expected with figs. I have not read anything similar on the Japanese quince.

Thoughts??

Constructive comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor