SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megnyc_gw

Clematis combinations?

MegNYC
19 years ago

Heh, I posted this on the clematis forum, figured I'd go to the experts. I was advised to bring it to the Balcony forum ... they don't wanna know about growing in containers :~D

Here's the post:

I just received 3 clematis and I got 2 roses about a month ago. Since I am gardening on a balcony, my space is limited and I think I got carried away ordering.

So my question is this: Should I put all my clematis together in one container, and maybe get an obelisk? Or, since I have read that clematis and roses do well together, should I combine a rose and a clematis? (Don't think color is a problem ... the clematis are lavendar/blue/pink and the roses are pale yellow and very pale peach). Can I use Rosetone on the clematis?

In case it matters, the clematis are: Belle of Woking, Edouard Defosse and Pillu.

Planting instructions say to include bone meal, and I have heard bone meal isn't that effective ... is it necessary? (asking since I don't have any)

As a side note, I was stunned that the Pillu arrived with 2 blooms and 2 buds. I am used to getting sticks with a couple of wilty leaves in the mail.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!