SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

Favorite direct sow annuals?

17 years ago

With 200+ seedlings growing in my basement, I don't have room to plant any more seeds indoors. But I have some very long flowerbeds and my wife wants more annuals this summer to get better long-lasting color. We can't plant till May in our climate, so here's the question: What are your favorite direct-sown annuals that will flower very quickly if sown in May and have good color through summer? I'm trying to keep the costs down, which is why I'd prefer sowing seeds rather than buying plants.

I have some seeds I gathered from Profusion Cherry Zinnias in my yard last year, but I hear they may not come true to color from seed (I may try anyway). I also have perhaps a thousand seeds off of some nice French Marigolds I've grown for a few years, and I will include them in the beds, but I don't want too much orange, so they can't be dominant.

I don't really like the ball-shaped marigolds or zinnias, so I'd prefer some flowers with more simple shapes. Daisies are good, so I could use African daisies (dimorphotheca) as part of it, but again, some of those are orange. How about some yellows, whites, pinks, reds, and purples? Any great ideas?

Steve

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting