SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Fence post arbor?

castorp
18 years ago

I've been wanting to make some arches/arbors for the garden for some time now. I've been looking at photos, and the one I like best is a rustic type made out of what seem to be the trunks of young trees. In the Antique Rose Emporium Catalog, for example, there are "tee pees" and other structures made out of cedar posts, which are the trunks of cedar trees with the bark still on.

I've checked at the farm supply stores around here, but the posts are all pine. I assume these pine posts are treated (I've used them before and they haven't rotted), and they have the rustic, slightly irregular look I want.

Trouble is, they only come in 6 foot and 8 foot lengths. To make an arch/arbor with the clearance I want I need 10 foot posts. I've checked the Home Depot type stores too. They have very few posts, and they're all too short. Theirs are too finished looking also.

I don't have access to woods where I could cut down trees, and besides, it's important to me that the posts last many years. I would prefer them to be cedar or treated.

My questions are:

Where else might I find these long posts?

If I can't find them, would it work to bolt together two 6 foot posts? Or would this be too weak? (They need to support heavy vines).I guess I would cut the posts to create flat sides on the ends where they are to be bolted together. I would have them overlapping 2 or 3 feet where they join. . . I'm just thinking out loud here. If anyone has any advice/knowhow to share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored