SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jelandusn

Another Bonsai repotting question...

jelandusn
16 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some help. I bought a Japanese maple bonsai about 3 months ago. It was already dormant when I got it so I put it out on the patio, (yes it's going to be inside). I know that's not so good but we live in the city and have no yard. The patio is not heated and gets tons of morning sun. Because of the sun, it warms up pretty fast. Anyway, it started growing it's leaves about a week ago and is pretty full of leaves right now. It even has cool flowers! Never knew maples had flowers... The problem is, I think it is badly in need of repotting. I don't want it to get any bigger, so I think that would involve trimming the roots. When I first got it, it had moss all over the pot. I couldn't see the dirt or roots at all. This made it impossible to water it because the water would just run down the moss and over the edge. So, I took most of the moss up only to find that the roots were exposed and over the top of the pot. So, I still have the same problem with the water running off the edge just not as bad. My question is, how do I repot it!!!? I tried to take it out of the pot but it won't budge at all. I'm guessing there are wires. There's no way I can dig to the wires because there's no dirt!! Just roots. So what now? Break the pot? And once I get it out of the pot. Do I have to move it to a bigger size? I'm thinking that since there's just so many roots and no dirt, it might be too root bound to just trim the roots. If I could, I would just take it to a bonsai store and have them do it for me, but I'm here in Korea and haven't had much luck finding a store like that. I got the tree while on vacation and I don't think I can convince my husband to drive 10 hours to get the tree repotted. He likes the plant but not that much...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus