SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rf1279

Creating Privacy on a Balcony...Quickly!

RF1279
12 years ago

I live in New York City and just moved into my first apartment with a balcony. It's fairly sizeable by NYC standards (12' x 6') and gets fantastic light. I'm a total gardening newbie, but I'm having fun figuring things out!

The one problem with my balcony is that it is shared (one long concrete slab with a railing separating my half from my neighbor's half; we each have a separate door) and provides VERY little privacy. On the non-shared side I have about 12 feet of space before another row of balconies begins, so if I'm outside I am visible to neighbors on either side, as well as several balconies above and below mine, AND anyone in the building across the street. I'm a pretty private person, and being out there (especially when I want to, say, enjoy a morning cup of coffee in my pajamas...) is leaving me feeling really exposed!

Does anybody have suggestions for quick ways to create privacy with plants? (I did check out the LOTB posts about privacy, but none were exactly what I was looking for.) I don't want to wait the entire summer for stuff to grow tall enough to be of use.

I'm not allowed to use screens or blinds, or to hang things from the ceiling, so whatever I do needs to stand on the ground and be primarily plant-based. On the shared side I am planning to use a trellis (with sweet potato vine) to block at least some of the view. For the other side I ordered a tall window box planter (the kind that is on legs, with a shelf on the bottom) and would like to plant something tall/bushy that will block my neighbors' views of my unit. I like ornamental grasses, but are there any that can grow tall enough (at least 2 feet) to create privacy by early summer? Definitely open to using tall plants or flowers, too--I'm honestly less concerned with the look of the planting than I am with how tall it grows, and how quickly.

I would also like to purchase a few large potted plants to help with privacy, but I'm unsure about what to buy. Again, I'm less concerned with the look of the plant than with how quickly it will create privacy. I saw some sort of fern at the greenmarket and almost bought it, but decided I'd better do a bit of research first!

My balcony is south-facing and gets full sunlight from about 11am - 5pm, with the brightest light mid-afternoon. (There is an overhang which creates some shade at the back part of the balcony.) It also gets fairly windy at times.

Any suggestions/ideas would be very much appreciated!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County