SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeneric_travelers

Creating privacy with a wrought iron fence

Jen K (7b, 8a)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Unfortunately, all signs point to being stuck with a black aluminum backyard fence with enough spaces between slats for our dachshunds to escape. We now have to modify the fence to create safety and privacy for them and our neighbors.

What do you suggest to line or place on the fencing to block the dogs sightlines as well as keep them from getting out? In a past house we used a black mesh that was hung along a stringer line but it was a very short distance - this would be for a fence on a .2 acre backyard. Should we expect an aluminum fence is more expensive than wood?

Comments (23)

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner ideally it would be best to block the view but we don't have a back neighbor, just two side neighbors and neither have a dog. So that's good so far.

That last option is very nice. The fence company (that was to build our wood privacy fence but the HOA changed their rules) can do the puppy pickets but we're not sure if the HOA will approve it. I thought the whole fence would have to be narrow slats, not that it could be standard at the top.

Thank you.

• Related Discussions

Best way to attach plaque to wrought iron fence?

Q

Comments (2)
    The site below may give you some ideas. The following two links show brackets (from the site) that may work but the diameter of your tubing will be a factor. I think you'll need to drill at least two holes in the sign in order to mount the brackets, then paint the bolt heads to match the sign. Other option, consider drilling all the way thru the tubing and use Tamper Resistant bolts and nuts to secure the sign. http://www.hooksandlattice.com/street-brackets.html http://www.hooksandlattice.com/sign-brackets-for-poles.html Here is a link that might be useful: Brackets
    ...See More

Privacy Fence

Q

Comments (4)
    I would space them 3 feet apart. That is the recommendation that I have with mine. I realize that means ~40 plants, but also consider that they will extend 30 feet when mature. So, I would concentrate on working them around different parts of the fence which should give you excellent/interesting coverage in a few years. You would probably also be able to create a vine design around a frequently visited area of your fence, if you were so inclined; would be extremely cool to see!
    ...See More

Wrought Iron and Privacy Fence Mix

Q

Comments (37)
    So here is my idea. Where I have circled I want to now and plant privacy trees. The line is where my property ends. Where I'm mowing and planting is technically the village, but seeing how is all over grown with weeds I don't think anyone would mind. I under stand if the neighborhood is going to be expanded then it's fair game to knock it down but seeing how it's such a small piece I don't think anyone would care. This is all the same area, just different angles of it.
    ...See More

Wrought Iron fencing?

Q

Comments (9)
    David, Thanks so much for your kind words. Bruce, Here is a picture of the Handrail going up the steps on the side porch incorporated into a small run of Wrought iron fencing. It will be s shorter wrought iron Fence 36" above with all structural member sets in a concrete curbs that are used to house or create the bed for the herringbone pavers. The hand rail/wrought iron fence is on either side of the steps and was just put in today. Too late to prime.s The paver are not relaid yet but are all original and fired on site in the 1800's. In this picture you will see the stone retaining wall in front of the bay window and in front of the big spruce are now complete. The side walk is to the right of the corner post and to the right of the curb. Outside architectural lighting just installed today.
    ...See More
  • User
    2 years ago

maybe consider one of those "invisible fences" for your dog. they work really well.

for privacy, are you allowed to build some kind of pergola or gazebo?

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Love BeverlyFLADeziner’s suggestion for the puppy pickets. Then…landscaping. We installed a wrought iron fence when we acquired our Westie rescue. Invisible fences were not recommended for his breed. After installing the fence, we began to plant azaleas, hydrangeas, evergreen shrubs and trees around our yard, creating edged beds for privacy. It takes time…BUT, only 6 years later, we have a nice yard with interesting places for our dog to roam and a degree of privacy for our neighbors. Good luck with your doggies!

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User - no invisible fences are not an option for two small dogs who could easily be dognapped or threatened by other wildlife.

@ptreckel - Yes you're right, once we get the fence installed we can consider plantings. We have enough space inside the fence to provide that option.

• User
    2 years ago

previously you said you were worried about the dog getting out.

can you talk to the HOA about predator concerns and ask them what other people do about it? surely you are not the only ones with small dogs.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User the newly formed homeowner-led HOA board of 5-members made this unilateral decision to remove a wood privacy fence as an option so we're relegated to an aluminum fence. We hope they approve an installation with puppy pickets otherwise we'll have to add mesh to the bottom of the fence. No homeowner, current or future, was aware of the fence change unless they applied for installation. At this time the Board does not give indication they're concerned with pet safety, only aesthetics.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Invisible fences can prevent dogs from leaving ones’ yard. They cannot prevent unleashed dogs or other creatures (including skunks, raccoons and deer) from entering ones’ yard. These animals can injure pets who are afraid to flee. Physical fences can stop or discourage other dogs or animals from getting in. Also, some dog breeds are more likely than others to blow through an invisible fence while chasing another dog or animal. And then fear going through the electric field to return home. This was the case with my dog and so a real fence was a condition of our rescue vs. an invisible fence.

• User
    2 years ago

can't you make a plea? argue your case. it seems like they did not consider small pets when they made their new fence rule. and adding mesh is not aesthetically pleasing -- something I assume HOAs are trying to avoid. maybe other neighbors with small dogs have solid fences grandfathered in, but if they hear about this new rule, they might back you up. the tall fences that Beverly posted with the "puppy pickets" are nice looking, I feel like a reasonable condo board would be ok with it.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User I'm worried that we'll forgo the wood fence and submit an application for the aluminum fence with puppy pickets and they'll deny that because it's not exactly like the other homes. So then we'll have to re-submit an application (mind you we'll probably have waited 30+ days at this point for the first app to be responded to) for the standard option. This will turn into a tit for tat situation. They don't care about pets because they don't have any and they didn't ask the community what they thought because they don't have to.

• User
    2 years ago

can't you submit a request for the puppy proof fence before you tear out the wood fence?

when you submit the application, talk with them and explain what you're worried about. not over email, but face to face or the phone. stress that dogs escaping yards can be a nuisance for everyone. even though escape is not your only concern, that might be your best argument.

show them examples of how pretty these fences can look. a variety so they can choose a style that fits in. to me, these look no worse than a regular black metal fence.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User - there is no fence at this time. We're moving into a new build. They won't take phone calls or face to face meetings, only applications although we're all neighbors. I agree that they look as good as the traditional black fence and it would be better than a standard fence with a mesh covering. It can't be more than 4ft high; hope our fence company can do the puppy proof fence in that size. In our Austin home we had a wood fence on the sides and a aluminum fence along the greenbelt. We quickly learned about the dogs escape talents and strung mesh along the bottom but it required maintenance.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

Where I live, no dachshund could ever be permitted alone in a backyard, much less out by a perimeter fence. Coyotes sail over fences that high, and sail right back over with small dogs in their mouths. Even with the snake fencing ubiquitous in our area, it is a thing that dogs can get their snouts torn off right through the rails of the fence.

Perhaps this is not a concern where you live, and you're lucky if that is the case.

That said, I live in an HOA that is far more concerned about aesthetics than safety. Too many issues have been resolved this way. But if aesthetics are that important to them, are they going to care about any other changes you want to make to your backyard? Such as screening landscaping, landscaping against the fences, etc? In our neighborhood, the HOA weighs in on everything from plant selection to whether one's neighbors across the street and nextdoor and across the way have issues with the plans.

My few suggestions in your case are to

1. ask your new neighbors. I am sure you're not the only one to have smallish dogs with this concern.

2. consider or look into creating another fence within the outer fence, that your dogs can't jump over. (or is it your HOA's fondest desire that everyone be able to see all the way into your backyard? Yes, I'm very cynical about HOAs).

• elcieg
    2 years ago

Agree with Mrs. S. Dogs should not be left unattended in the yard. If there is a coyote within 15 sq miles of you, your dog is in danger.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm not sure where any of you got the idea that I let my dachshunds outside by themselves and it wasn't even the question. The question was: privacy that people don't see we have dachshunds and safety that the dachshunds don't get out.

We've never had a problem with an HOA and this is the seventh HOA we've lived in. However this is the first HOA that has a homeowner managed board and recently transitioned into homeowner led so they're very stupid about the process right now.

We were required to ask the neighbors on either side of us to sign up on the fence. Neither one of them knew that wood fences were not permitted anymore and they're both somewhat new to the neighborhood.

Since the five person board of directors that's also the architectural review Board never published their decision make process nobody knows the "careful considerations" the board president states went into making the decision.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

I am sorry if I offended. When you said you wanted to block the dogs sightlines, I assumed you meant you didn't want the dogs to see through the fence. You are actually trying to create privacy for….. the dogs. Well, my suggestions about an inner wall and landscaping stand.

All the HOAs we have been in were presided over by homeowner-elected boards, and appointed architectural committees, so not unusual, at least where I live. Perhaps you can just call up a board member and ask what the issues are with your plan. Or again, go meet some new neighbors, or post on your local Nextdoor, to ask a general question about the new rules and processes, and see if some neighbor can help you understand. Other than that, plan on attending the next board meeting.

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

Hi Jen. Sorry for the trouble with getting what you need to protect your dogs. I despise the HOA! Ours did the opposite and allowed wood fences and our community looks horrible due to lack of wood care. Could you perhaps consider putting up an inner dog run within the yard with the fencing you need?

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jackowskib you bring up a point that I hadn't considered - fence care. I've seen that issue elsewhere although the type they require here could evade that issue. And a new homeowner - approved for a wood fence - stained theirs too early and it looks bad. I bet that's where the Boards 'careful consideration' came from. I wish they'd explain why they changed it, when and publish the changes.

If we're relegated to the aluminum fence we'll have to put up mesh or covering in the fence. There's no know caveats to placing that in the inside of the fence. And if we do it before they make that decision we're good.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

And no one addressed your last question: Is an aluminum fence more expensive than a wooden fence? Yes, probably. We have 50” tall black aluminum fence surrounding our yard. The posts are 53” tall. Just a bit over 4 feet. Actually, it looks very nice. We didn’t need a puppy fence for our Westie (he can’t squeeze between the spindles.). The occasional deer has leapt over it (and back out) to eat our hostas. And, yes, skunks, possums, and raccoons do get under and over it. But I have had several neighbors admire the fence and install similar ones in their yards for “privacy” and for their pets. Good luck with your HOA! And with your pups!

• mrpandy
    2 years ago

Regarding HOA approval, check your covenants/rules for a time limit. In ours, if they don't reply to an application within 30 days, it is considered to be accepted.

• Donald
    2 years ago

Run for / apply for a seat on the board so you can be assured there is at least one common sense vote

• Maureen
    2 years ago

Big yard and no matter what, it will be expensive. I’d look into options and get quotes. Have built during off season and labour may be less. Not sure what neighbours have. Would they be interested in splitting costs on the shared side.

To cover safety and privacy, this modern aluminum fence would be perfect, but wonder if board is specific about style as well.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Really build a dog run it provides safety for your dogs lets you obey the new rules and keeps the poop and pee in one place . It can be quite large and set back from the area seen by others if you want .BTW no fence will keep racoons, etc out. If you ever move again stay away from any home that has an HOA . The nice thing with small dogs for a dog run is the run can even have a roof to give them sun shade and a couple of cute dog houses Make ie a nice spot they want to be in , some grass , some gravel even a little deck.