SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike48858

Morning Glory Newbie

mike48858
17 years ago

Hi all!

Each year I like to try growing something I haven't tried before. This year, it's going to be Morning Glories. But, I have a few questions I want to ask before I get going.

I have some bird houses sitting atop 1/2" copper pipes (about 12 ft. tall.) Would Morning Glory vines climb these pipes, or would the pipes be too "slippery"? If yes, how many plants should I plant around each pipe?

I'm really not familiar with the growth habit of Morning Glories. Is it one long vine, or is each plant several vines?

The varities I'm thinking about are 'Scarlet O'Hara' and 'Star of Yelta'.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (18)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Are these nesting bird houses or for ornament? One of the first things that came to mind was that the MG wouldn't be able to climb up a bare copper pole. Then I figured you could wrap simple copper wire around the pole, barber shop style, to give the vine something to hang on to. But THEN, I figured that along with the MG, snakes and squirrels would be able to get up those poles. Or is my mind just a little too busy today? Snakes are a primary predator of bird eggs and baby birds in my part of the country.

MG grows several feet in length, but you could plant more than one at the base of the pole.

• owllady
    17 years ago

Hey, you can't be too careful with bird nests, if these houses are not just ornamental. I did read somewhere snakes can get eggs out of birdhouses, but if you and your neighbors have never seen or heard of snakes in your area, it's probably not a concern.

Squirrels are another matter. I don't know if they'd bother eggs or baby birds, but they're always looking for birdseed. They might scare the babies.

Low-growing flowers might be best where birdhouses and feeders are concerned.

My problem with morning glories is that they will always sprout and grow vines, but never show the slightest sign of wanting to bloom. *sigh*

• Related Discussions

one BEAP offer for morning glories for one Mar/Apr newbie

Q

Comments (2)
    Sue! Can I be the newbie? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I? LOL!!! I'll put them where I was gonna grow the kudzu! With an offer like this, how can I NOT respond? If I'm the lucky winner by picking Door Number 4, take a look at my updated lists and let me know if there's anything you'd like! Yes, I said updated lists. God, is knowing I'm an addict really the first step towards a cure??? I WANT TO GET INTO MY GARDEN AND DO SOME PLANTING!!! AAAAAGGHHHHH! hehehe Dan, the S.G.
    ...See More

HAVE: Morning glories for a morning glory

Q

Comments (0)
    I have scarlett o'hara, crimson rambler, blue star, moonflower, & grandpa ott. I am looking for black knoila seeds.
    ...See More

Morning Glory newbie! Please advise.

Q

Comments (3)
    The "Clarkes HB" should be Ipomoea tricolor and a sky blue though the descriptor of Clarkes is more often used incorrectly than accurately,,,the commercial marketing trend relative to Ipomoea tricolor has been towards darker flowers... The "Mixed Colors" could be anything but are often a mixture of Ipomoea nil , Ipomoea purpurea and Ipomoea tricolor and sometimes a color mix of just one species. Morning Glories are sun loving plants and prefer morning sun over afternoon sun... The plants get 'leggy' when they are trying to stretch towards the light , when not getting enough light... I couldn't say with absolute certainty if the MG's would be willing to grow within the limited sunlight you have available but you could try it and see how they do...although it does seem doubtful based upon your description......
    ...See More

'Good Morning Red' morning glory?

Q

Comments (2)
    I only have experience with Heavenly Blue MG's and they did not do well in a pot. They did indeed insist on climbing and then I think they just ran out of root space because they suddenly stopped growing and flowering.
    ...See More
  • chaz_wi
    17 years ago

Morning glories do produce side shoots that want to climb, so each plant is indeed "several vines".

Last year I planted a single Heavenly Blue morning glory at the base of an ornamental arbor. It grew profusely, side-branched, and covered the arbor, but took a long time to set any buds. FINALLY by late July there were buds. Within a week or two, the arbor was a dazzling display of large pale blue flowers every morning. From mid-August till frost in October, that morning glory bloomed like crazy. I'd also planted a black-eyed Susan vine next to it, and it climbed and bloomed, but it was not noticeable next to its blue neighbor.

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here with a few more questions.

I'm also thinking of sowing some morning glories but have hesitated (and my dh has encouraged hesitation) because we've heard they can be awfully invasive. Now, our place is NOT very fertile - it's almost pure sand and I have to work very hard adding lots of compost and organic stuff to have any flowerbeds or veggies at all. So far invasiveness has not really been an issue. How aggressive are morning glories? Am I likely to wish I hadn't let them loose?

Also, given my soil situation and the fact that it is VERY hot and usually dry here in the summer, could anyone give me advice on how best to prepare the bed and then care for the morning glories in order to ensure plenty of flowers if I DO decide to go ahead with them?

• chaz_wi
    17 years ago

Morning glories self-sow prolifically. However, the seedlings are easily spotted and uprooted so I simply become heartless when I see the baby volunteers in the springtime. I've also noticed that all offspring revert to a deep violet-blue color, so if you want the variety of reds and heavenly blues and star-patterns and whites, weed out all the volunteers and plant your own seeds every year.

I suppose you could put down some sort of barrier around the plant that would prevent most of the dropped seeds from germinating.

Morning glories wilt in hot dry conditions, so do give them a good dose of water in the morning if you're going to have a hot, cloudless, dry day.

I have not found them to be too particular about their soil, though I've no experience with gardening in sandy soil. I would offer the general recommendation of adding plenty of organic material to retain moisture and provide something for the roots to cling to. To boost blossom production, choose a fertilizer with a higher middle number in the NPK array (phosphorous, which promotes strong root growth and blossom development) than the first number (nitrogen, which promotes luxuriant foliage growth).

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information! I use quite a lot of mulch to help hold some moisture in this ground (heaven knows it drains out the bottom fast enough!) so I seldom see reseeders unless I intentionally pull it back. Few seeds are determined enough to make their way through 4-5 inches of mulch.

Sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to stay on top of 'em. Besides, I love those dark violet blue ones!

I appreciate your explanation about the ferilizer, too. I'm guessing I can apply that in other situations as well.

• lorrainebecker
    17 years ago

I used to live near the beach and Morning Glories did fine in our sandy soil.

• stevation
    17 years ago

I've heard complaints about invasiveness, too, but my seedlings are all found right at the base of my arbor. Pretty easy to take care of thinning them out and letting some grow. There are varieties that will flower most of the day, rather than only in the morning. I think Star of Yelta might be one of them, but make sure you do some research on that.

And no, they won't make it up a slick metal pole. They need something to twine on.

• petuniamel
    17 years ago

When our daughter was 12 we gave her charge of a new flower bed. She decided what to plant, bought the plants, planted and cared for them. She did a beautiful job and it gave her something to do that summer.

One of the things she planted was Morning Glories on a fence. They were beautiful and the entire fence was a gorgeous shade of blue! The neighbors commented on them, people were known to drive more slowly as they admired them from the street, etc.

The next year I found Morning Glories absolutely EVERYWHERE. They were on the complete opposite side of our yard. We all became accustomed to pulling an unending supply of the volunteers in unending variety of locations.

My daughter graduated from college last year and I am still pulling MG's. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them.

• amazon
    17 years ago

i have tons of morning glory. They love our red clay soil here. The fastes way to kill them or make them look crappy is to put them in fertile dirt or feed them. They like the red clay soil. Go figure.

• chaz_wi
    17 years ago

The volunteers that took over a large bed one year grew in dark, rich soil that was enriched annually. I'd originally planted them in the front edge, which was the ornamental border, next to sunflowers, which they climbed eagerly. The following year their children grew throughout the bed (not only next to where their parents had flowered) and created a dense jungle.

The one on my sister's arbor grew in a thin layer of topsoil spread over hard red clay.

I have some that have gone wild behind the house in a spot where I toss organic kitchen waste and they now clamber up a power-pole anchor cable. The soil there is rocky and thin, though now enhanced with the decaying vegetable matter I throw there.

I'd hazard a guess that they'll grow anywhere and are remarkably unpicky about their soil.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

If Star of Yelta is anything like Grandpa Otts, be ready for a lifetime of weeding. Beautiful but aggressive.

• hoehum
    17 years ago

The hybrids like Heavenly Blue do not self sow at all for me. I got some in trade once marked 'pinks and purples' that had smaller flowers earlier than the HB. I had volunteers the following year but nothing obnoxious.

There is a twining weed called Bindweed that has white flowers that look like morning glories. It is extremely agressive, difficult to get rid of, spreads under ground, and pops up anywhere it wants and kills shrubs by strangulation. Many people call it 'Morning Glory' (though it is no relation) and if they've never met the 'good' annual MGs would be very wary.

If you can attach a piece of fencing, maybe 6" wide, it would give the MGs something to twine around. I purchased one of those cheap arbors that looks basically like a ladder that someone bent in the middle. I bought a roll of green wire fence (about knee high) and cut a strip to weave between the rungs for the vines to crawl. You could simply tie a strip of fencing to the poles with fishing line.

I attached 6" strips to the posts of the privacy fence for my clamatis.

My neighbor took a section and wrapped it around a flagpole in her yard. Caution--you must insert some sort of spacers between the pole and the fence so the vines have room to wrap around the fence.

The role of fencing has been used for many other projects!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

hoehum, thanks for telling me about the "twining weed called Bindweed that has white flowers that look like morning glories". My mother's garden was infested with this stuff. She always called them "Morning Glories", so I was surprised that anyone would plant this intentionally! In a seed exchange I received several varieties but was wondering. Now I won't be afraid to plant them. I received "Heavenly Blue" and something just called "Mixed MG".

mike48858, thanks for starting this thread! Helped me out too, as I know nothing about MG habits. Sounds like they twine in a similar way as do clematis or peas: tendrils that need something skinny to wrap around.

• oldroser
    17 years ago

Bindweed IS a morning glory - a wild one. It has thick white roots that go down further than you would think possible and any little piece of root will start a new plant so Roudup is the way to eradicate that.
    I've grown Heavenly Blues for years and never got a seedling. But the ones that were fertilized (because they were in the vegetable garden), produced no flowers at all.
    Compost is OK but I would rule out fertilizer unless all you are looking for is leaves.

• ornata
    17 years ago

Just a note for the seed-savers out there; 'Heavenly Blue' in my experience comes true from the seed that it sets. The seeds are actually a different shape from those of other morning glories.

• Pieonear
    17 years ago

I made the mistake of planting them on our back deck 12 long years ago and every year there are more and more seedlings. They even come up underneath the deck where it's relatively dark and weave their way up through the cracks of the deck floor! I think they're evil. LOL

• shapiro
    17 years ago

For "ownlady": Morning glories are supposed to bloom in the second half of the summer. Here, they bloom from late July to frost. It's simply the nature of the plant.