SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmadsen10

Juniper Bonsai Rookie, Please HELP!

lmadsen10
17 years ago

Hello,

For Christmas my girlfriend bought me a very nice looking juniper bonsai tree (from a website called joebonsai.com) with the intent of keeping the tree indoors. After receiving the tree I began to do some research (including some on these forums) and have found that most people recommend that the tree be raised outdoors. This is a problem for me since I: 1) live in an apartment and 2) live in Nebraska where we are in the midst of winter and it is currently about 10 degrees outside. I currently have the tree sitting in my family room a few feet away from a southern facing window that gets good sun in the morning and early afternoon, but after that mostly shade. The sheet of information that I got with my bonsai said to water it everyday which to me seems excessive especially when I feel the soil two or three days later and it still feels damp. Currently I have been watering about every other day but since reading some posts on here about dormancy I'm wondering if I shouldn't allow it to dry out. I am also very concerned about keeping it alive indoors and allowing it to grow all year long. Basically what I am asking for are some tips on keeping my new bonsai tree indoors and on how to keep it healthy and fed. The sheet I got says to give it a no-nitrogen fertilizer in the winter... any suggestions on one that I could get from my local greenhouse/nursery? Does my tree even know that it is winter or, since it is indoors, is it thinking that it is time to grow? If so, can anyone recommend a good growth season fertilizer? Can I prune it now or should I wait until spring? If I were to put my tree outside to allow it to become dormant would it be able to survive in the cold (0-30 degrees Farhenheit) weather or is there a way that I need to protect it? Thank you so much for any advice that you can give me. I really like the tree and would feel just awful if it were to die. It is still looking good so I think I may still have time to fix any mistakes that I may have already made.

-Lars

Comments (8)

Sponsored