SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katwomn59

Dripping water on neighbors below

katwomn59
19 years ago

Okay, this might seem like a silly question, but how do y'all keep from dripping water onto neighbors balcony/patio below you? I have just started gardening in containers and my balcony has a gap at the bottom of the railing/wall for water runoff. It was not much of a problem before, because I only had a window box and it didnt drain very quickly, plus I put the drip tray that came with it on the floor underneath and that caught most of the water.

But now I have branched out and have bigger pots and really fast draining potting mix (thanks to Al!). It doesnt take much before the water starts running out of the bottom and running across the balcony to drip down below. And thats just the 3 new pots I have. When it gets a bit warmer, I will likely have a lot more.

I have seen those different drip trays that are sold with the pots, but I have seen recommendations against using them because after you water, you have to pick up each pot and empty them when they finish draining. I dont want to have to do that (especially if I try to water in the morning before leaving for work), and I have a bay tree in a 15 gal pot and I can barely lift it. I have seen some trays that have ridges, presumably to keep the pots above water level but they dont look too sturdy and dont seem deep enough for all the water that is draining out of my pots.

I am planning to maybe get some plant stands and I thought maybe I could get some kind of big tray or something to put underneath, but have no idea where I would get something like that. Plus I dont know where I would find such a thing. And I wont be able to use that for my bay anyway.

So far, my neighbors have not complained but that doesnt mean that they wont if it keeps up. Plus I like to be considerate when I can.

Suggestions/advice anyone?

Thanks,

Lydia

Comments (13)

Sponsored