SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Flora Floof! Garden Goodies!

amylou321
12 days ago

I know it is early in the year, but I would love to hear about the bounty from your gardens! So far all have gotten, food wise is some red lettuce, A LOT of it, 4 heads of broccoli which I roasted with garlic and parmesan cheese today, and various herbs. I had a couple strawberries starting to ripen but they disappeared. Same with blueberries. I was particularly excited about the PINK lemonade blueberry bush I planted, but those berries disappear as well. Guess I will have to net them. My broccoli is growing funny. It looks more like broccolini and I was wondering if I had gotten the wrong plants, but some of the broccoli heads forming look normal, so I do not know. Whatever it is, it was DELICIOUS. I planted 30 plants of it, so hopefully much more to come. People ask me ALL THE TIME for some fresh broccoli from my garden, so I like to make sure I have enough. My cabbages look like they will be ready in a couple more weeks, and I have tomatoes forming on all 7 of my plants. I saw some teeny bell peppers this morning and am excited about those. Its my first year attempting onions and they appear to be thriving. The iceberg lettuce that I planted mysteriously just rotted before it was ready to harvest. I wonder if it was some kind of pest that caused that. I have fruit trees that really never do much. I have a plum tree that drives me nuts. It will have TONS of tiny plums on it, then they all just FALL OFF, still tiny and unripe. Do not know what that is about but whatever. I have 2 pluot trees that leaf out but never fruit. They are compatible, pollination wise, but I guess are just unwilling. One of my truck drivers brought me a satsuma tree to replace the one that I attempted to grow last year. (its dead) I will plant this one in a different spot and see if it does better. I also planted a dwarf mulberry bush this year and it is very small and therefore I do not expect fruit for a couple more years, but the plant itself seems happy.

Flower wise, I had to replace a hardy hibiscus at my job that had been going strong for several years, but then just....poof, vanished! ( I suspect that the colony of feral cats that I feed around my office perhaps had a paw in that) And I have 2 rose bushes at home that have died, but everything else looks great! My roses and lilies both at home and at work are SHOWING OUT, and all the hardy hibiscus plants have emerged. I love those and wish their blooms lasted longer. The only complaint I have is with 2 of my roses at work. A Neil Diamond and a Blue girl. Both well established and healthy. Well, this year, all of a sudden they are no longer a Neil Diamond and a blue girl. The Neil Diamond now appears to be some sort of dark purple knock out type rose. And the strange thing is, my Blue girl has this same rose growing from it along WITH the normal beautiful lavender blooms. A strange sort of plant rebellion I am not familiar with. Rootstock or something I gather. They are not close to each other in the garden , so I find it odd that it happened to both of them. I am not a big fan of knockout roses, I prefer Hybrid Teas. But the plants do look healthy so I will not just dig them up. I am sad at the.....conversion of my Neil Diamond. That was my favorite non-pink rose. So Weird. I have OFFICIALLY abandoned all attempts to grow hydrangeas and azaleas. I have accepted my fate as the only woman in the south that cannot seem to grow those. I would turn in my pearls but they were revoked YEARS ago for some other transgression......

I will admit that I am not a huge fan of this time of year, as it only leads to the worst (IMO) time if year, summertime with all its suffocating heat and humidity. But I look at my gardens and see (and taste!) the bright side. What have you got growing?

Comments (20)