SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_larue

HELP! Marmoleum repair issues

Lauren La Rue
11 days ago

OK I have a vintage 1958 house with a retro kitchen. Former owner installed a checkerboard marmoleum floor in the kitchen with 3 colors. I have a love/hate relationship with this floor. It does capture the vintage feel for sure and I like the look. EXCEPT the stains, the scuffs and the water damage. This is the most finicky "bullet proof/hospital type" flooring I have ever seen. It stains very readily, including taking color from an anti-fatigue matt and a cast iron fry pan set on the floor for a day. Most important, I had a slow leak under my dishwasher which has caused the edges of several tiles to cup and peel upwards slightly, leaving wide dirty gaps

. I have looked into repairing it - which sounds easy - replacing a few tiles - except I need tiles in all 3 colors. Forbo and the retailers will only sell in cases, that means I need to buy 150 plus square feet of the product to fix about 8 tiles. I have called and beseeched them for help, but I got the cold shoulder from the manufacturer and the retailer. Well that is pretty crappy customer support for a "green", higher end product in my opinion. I can buy porcelain tile to cover the entire floor for only a couple hundred bucks more than the cases of marmoleum and it will take a lot of abuse, more than the marmoleum. SO does anyone have any ideas on how to handle this without me replacing the entire floor? And you can bet I wont replace it with more marmoleum.

Thanks, Lauren

Comments (25)

• millworkman
    11 days ago

" Well that is pretty crappy customer support for a "green", higher end product in my opinion. "

Like most products they sell them by the box, not individually. Buy the box. Certainly cheaper than replacing the entire floor.

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

Can you show the entire floor? How obvious and irritating are the parts that need repair? Could you get away with getting one color for the replacements or would it look horrible to disrupt the pattern?

If you can live with it, I would until you have beaten the entire floor and are ready to replace the whole thing.

I have found some of the worst customer support in the "green" products field. I think they are used to dealing with massive quantities for lead certified commercial spaces and don't want to deal with home owners.

• Related Discussions

Samsung Fridge repair issues?

Q

Comments (31)
    Our 20+ years old Whirlpool fridge is dying. I am attracted to a Samsung side by side and door in door model with a price under 2,000 but hesitated as reading so many bad review about liability issues and difficulty of getting repaired. True, I can purchase store warranty by Lowes or Homedepot but who wants to deal with repairment or replacement in such a short time? I went to a local GE appliance store. Of course, they confirmed the poor service of Samsung, LG, Kenmore, etc. and interested to buy a GE brand and they would provide timely repairment. But I still love the door in door feature of Samsung and LG brand (Kenmore has it too). I don't really care about the ice water or ice feature but can't find any interesting model without it. Any suggestion? Anyone has a Samsung product and still is happy with it?
    ...See More

help me pick marmoleum colors for my kitchen

Q

Comments (28)
    It IS a pretty stove, isn't it? There are lots of nice options for more colorful appliances these days--I love those Bertazzonis, plus the colorful Vikings, BlueStars, Agas.... Be sure to find pictures of RedRange's kitchen (with a gorgeous red BlueStar, among other features...now THAT kitchen makes me swoon!) sundownr...thanks! The countertops are black Paperstone, a recycled paper product similiar to Richlite. Both products have an almost leathery matte finish, and seem softer and warmer to the touch than granite. I was tempted by soapstone, but it seemed like quite a pain to find slabs in my area, and I was worried I would end up with a slab with more veining than I wanted...so I went with the Paperstone, and so far have been very happy with it. I actually used Paperstone as the threshold between my Marmoleum and hard wood floors, too--which has worked out surprisingly well! bmarshall--it feels good to have the decision made, doesn't it? Now you have to make sure you post some pictures when you are done; we all love the marmoleum kitchens! :)
    ...See More

Help! Color panic - cancel Monday's Marmoleum install???

Q

Comments (32)
    It does look great, just a little more subtle than Asian Tiger. So glad you like it. countrygal 905 - Marmoleum is made from natural raw materials while vinyl is chemical based. Marmoleum is a good choice for a number of reasons, especially if you prefer natural products. Think of buying your flooring at the grocery store as opposed to the gas station. In addition, the colors in Marmoleum are softer and more natural looking than vinyl. Here's a link with more info: Here is a link that might be useful: Marmoleum
    ...See More

wall repaired, need repairing....help decide the best way....

Q

Comments (2)
    Looks like metal edge bead. It may have been cut a bit too long or there could be some flex in the framing that is causing the joint compound to crack. I would replace it with something like Aquabead. The corner bead is coated with a water-activated adhesive. Just wet it, wait a minute for the adhesive to activate and put it in place. Let dry and come back with joint compound. Super easy to use. https://www.certainteed.com/drywall/aquabead-product-spotlight-video/ If you still have a problem with cracking, then go with the trim option you mentioned.
    ...See More
  • Lauren La Rue
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Yeah it would look awful with just one color. I was wondering why hospitals like it - but I get that it does last a long time with a lot of care. Now I remember all the times I have been in the hospital late at night with a friend or relative and all the minions running around with commercial machines cleaning and polishing the floors . It lasts - if you want to make that kind of maintenance commitment. I do not. I do not want to source pH neutral cleaners, rinse the floors afterwards and then towel dry them after each moppingI I am tired of my floors looking grubby and dirty - it has many stains on it as well, that photo was taken after I had just damp mopped the floor twice and it still looks filthy, and not just the seams. I dont want to throw more money at a company and product that behaves in this fashion. I mean, really, you dont have ANY open boxes? You can't make a case of mix colors? This isnt brain surgery, it is customer service. Linoleum floors were abandoned with glee in the mid century when better products appeared. I think it has only found new life with the "green" monicker. That is not enough for me. Thanks for your ideas though.

• chispa
    11 days ago

You don't seem to like the floors, so I would start looking at what you can replace them with.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 days ago

Sorry but I don't think you can replace a couple of pieces and not have them stand out like a sore thumb. Replace the floor.

• Iris Graeber
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Everyone who wants a floor that gives them grief, raise your hand! How about being kind to yourself by switching out that love/hate relationship for a love/love one? Wouldn't you prefer something that will make you smile when you see it, won't scratch, won't stain, won't peel up, won't buckle, won't delaminate, won't swell, won't shrink, won't change color or appearance, is easy to maintain, can be steam cleaned, wouldn't even blink at a major flood, offers many choices in appearance, will increase your home's resale value, and will probably outlive you and your grandchildren? Porcelain tile (not ceramic) has all those benefits. You can watch "How to lay porcelain tile floor" videos on YouTube or hire an installer. I've laid five of them and if you can frost a cake, you can lay tile. It's really not that different, just bigger. You can lay it right on top of that linoeum.

Once installed, it only needs swept or vacuumed with an occasional damp mop or steam cleaning, and an easy application of grout sealer once or twice a year to keep it new looking. Confession -- for 36 years in my last house I'd never even heard of grout sealer and never used it and the floors were fine. I'd keep the grout seams narrow and apply a dark grout that won't show dirt. One warning: if you install breakable flooring and some day you need a replacement dishwasher, cover that edge of your tile with heavy cardboard and warn the installers NOT to chip the tile. That's the only chip any tile of mine ever got. What's not to love about a one and done floor?

But that's just me and it's what you like that matters. Visit some flooring stores until you discover what brings a sparkle to your eyes, makes your heart go pity-pat, *reduces your work load*, then get that because oh heck yeah, you deserve it.

Just in case you decide to keep your existing floor, you can remove rust stains from it by laying a doubled piece of paper towel on the rust, soak the towel good with regular vinegar, cover with a plastic baggie to keep it damp, and leave it overnight. Works a charm on rust. Also, spray the floor with Scrubbing Bubbles and let sit for an hour or more. That can work miracles on old ground-in dirt.

• kculbers
    11 days ago

I bet your marmoleum has “broken down”. A 1950’s floor of marmoleum does not last 4 ever. As my husband always says : “Everything wants to return to the earth”. I think its time to replace it. There are issues
    about this flooring. Staining, pet accidents being a particular issue and there are reports of it denting. Ensuring that any spills are wiped up as soon as possible reduces the risk of staining. Putting pads on the feet of furniture and avoiding wearing spiked high heels will guard against dents and scuffs. Best of luck on your journey!

• PRO
    Dar Bouchaib
    11 days ago

Wow, that sounds like a frustrating situation! It's a shame the manufacturer and retailer aren't being more helpful. Have you considered looking for used tiles online or at salvage yards? You might get lucky and find the colors you need without having to buy a whole case. Another option could be to mix and match similar colors to create a patchwork effect that could actually look pretty cool and unique. Just a couple of ideas to consider before committing to replacing the entire floor. Good luck!

• arcy_gw
    11 days ago

Have you had them checked for asbestos? Their age makes me think you have a larger issue if you try and remove them.

• herbflavor
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I could probably doctor some repairs into those knicks and gouges...however the recurrent nature of future damages given the age and so on would make me hesitate about the effort time or money on this. have to consider full replacement I think...... much better solution. i dont think the color combo is all that great ..just a personal opinion on that aspect.....get a new floor....

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 days ago

IMO a new floor and even if you could get the colors they would never match and the floor has had a good life so cover it or remove it you do not need remedaition to remove old flooring and I do not think marmoleum had asbestos and for sure not an issue even if it did.

• Lauren La Rue
    Original Author
    11 days ago

SO marmoleum is a recent product, we are not looking at original flooring but maybe 12-15 years old. Even so, it has not aged gracefully and I will be replacing with porcelain tile. Not worth the hassle of trying to source 3 different colors at salvage yards, or sitting on 140 expensive extra unused tiles if I buy all the cases. I have just been upset at the hypocrisy of the manufacturer who emphasizes these being a "green" flooring. There is nothing less green than having to replace a floor that is 90percent useful because repairing the 10 percent that is damaged is impractical. Shall we talk about the carbon footprint of that strategy?

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

Your eloquent, passionate, and justified rant about these floors is the answer to your problems - you need a new floor that is not marmoleum.

Treat this situation as you would any other home repair needed after flood or some kind of accident. Can you do repair or does it need replacement. Replacement. Is it a safety issue that requires immediate replacement? No. What is your budget for replacement - material and labor? Start shopping for what you can afford and build a timeline based on whether you have the funds to replace now or have to live with a terrible looking yet safe floor.

Post pics of your entire kitchen and your general budget so others can give you practical replacement ideas that will look good in your kitchen.

• bpath
    10 days ago

I’m so disappointed to read this. I had just decided to replace our ceramic tile with Marmoleum. I have hated this floor from day one, 20 years of that takes its toll on the soul. The grout is awful and the hard floor is hard on the legs especially at holidays, and if you drop something there is no hope of its survival, though its last revenge might be to scratch, knick, or crack the tile. The only good side is, I don’t care what spills because except for the grout, anything can be cleaned up, at any time.

I wonder if sheet marmoleum has the same issues as the marmoleum tile? I put sheet vinyl in my last two kitchens and loved it. I’d do the same here except one, it’s a higher-traffic space and two, the local market might not like it, and I do have to keep that in mind for a couple of years down the road.

• Helen
    10 days ago

If you don't like the floors and can afford it, change them for something you love.

There are lots of flooring that would blend in aesthetically with your home and be more to your taste.

The repair is never going to look like anything but a half arsed obvious repair and you are going to like it even less. Meanwhile, other areas of the floor will probably continue to deteriorate

• palimpsest
    10 days ago

I believe you can ruin the surface of the floor using the wrong cleaners on it because it's an organic product. I know someone who had old linoleum countertops and they were sticky and picked up dirt because they used cleaning products that essentially were breaking them down.

• J from Lakes Country
    10 days ago

A take-away for all us - whatever flooring product we use, store some extra pieces for the small patch down the road. Anything more than a small patch earns a new floor. Iris is right, you deserve it! If it isn't in the budget right now, cover the damage with a kitchen rug and start saving. Don't invest any more in a floor that demands so much of your time and gives so little in return.

• latifolia
    10 days ago

It seems like Lauren and Marmoleum are not a good match. It might be perfect flooring for someone else.

We have solid oak floors and I would never leave a cast iron pan - any pan - on the floor. I wipe up spills immediately and chose appliances to avoid leaks (e.g. non-plumbed ice maker). But that's me.

Choose a floor that works with your lifestyle. But if you needed an anti-fatigue mat with Marmoleum, porcelain will be much worse.

• RedRyder
    10 days ago

This whole situation sounds awful. You have eloquently shared how upsetting this is for you. You need, and deserve, a gorgeous floor that will make you happy every day. (Kind of like a breakup with a bad boyfriend being sad until that new one shows up and life is good again. )

Floors are such a big part of your home’s aesthetic that it’s hard when you’re mad and aggravated by them.

Go shopping and fall in love. Let us know what you find so we can cheer you on. You need a new floor. 😊

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 days ago

RedRyder:

Great analogy, but I'm puzzled as to whether or not I'm the bad boyfriend or the new one making life good again.

• partim
    10 days ago

I have no solution for you but I share your dislike of Marmoleum. We have it in one room in our house at the advice of our trendy decorator, and it always looks grubby. You're making the right decision to get rid of it.

• Lauren La Rue
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you all. I keep finding hidden posts here and there on the internet from people who find marmoleum to not be the miracle green flooring it may be promoted as. I live on a farm. There is no time to baby the flooring, I reserve that kind of energy for chicks and foals and the like, you know, living beings that actually deserve it. My floors need to work for me, not me for them. I imagine busy parents might feel the same. I do not have impossibly high standards for cleanliness, but, darn it, the damn floor should look clean right after I mop and stay that way for at least a little while. I should not have to test the pH of my cleaners or freak out if my old dog pees on the floor, or, heaven forbid, I spill some bleach water on it - which is apparently a complete no no with marmoleum. Really do people settle for such a finicky product?! Well I do know people install fussy marble counter tops, another example of form over function. Fortunately, I do have the money to get rid of all of it and I have a lovely porcelain tile in my master bath that will now be in the kitchen and second bath. I just hate waste and I hate hypocrisy. I had an anti fatigue matt on the floor to cover some of the dirtier tiles, not because I spend much time at the sink. I have better things to do. If a matt or pan has the power to stain a floor permanently, then that floors has got to go.

• artemis78
    10 days ago

We have Marmoleum Click (which is what is pictured here). We're getting ready to replace ours after 14 years, which is a huge bummer. But it does not take wear and tear or water or sunlight well--see the other long-running threads on this. We did buy extra tiles for future replacements when we installed it, but if the previous owners of your home didn't, it's hard to get them without buying the full case--and know that the colors will not match exactly. It is also challenging to replace individual tiles because it's a tongue-and-groove style flooring. It is possible to sand and refinish it, but that won't address the water damage that is causing the gaps between the tiles.

Our neighbors have sheet Marmo and it is somewhat better, but they don't have dogs or kids or much direct sunlight in that room, so can't vouch for how it would do in those conditions.

• latifolia
    10 days ago

Everyone needs to find the right fit for their lifestyle, and it's good that the OP has found, and can afford, the right match for her schedule and farm life.

It's inaccurate to say that marble counters are an example of form over function. Nothing is better for rolling pastry. They wipe up easily. We are two adults living downtown with no kids or pets. I don't put hot pans on the counter and am careful to wipe up acidic spills. I chose marble ten years ago and it's perfect for us.

• artemis78
    9 days ago

I don’t even think something like marble is a good comparison here—marble has many assets that balance out its fussy elements for households where it’s a good fit, and they are also many people who like the patina. There aren’t many households where flooring that can’t get wet, be in direct sunlight, or have a mat covering it is going to be a reasonable kitchen or bath floor product. (To that end, Forbo has discontinued the original Click and now makes an updated version that is supposed to address many of these issues, so they’re clearly aware of the problems.) I think it was a nice idea to try to develop a product like this—our kitchen was not a good candidate for sheet Marmoleum so Click made it possible to choose the product—but just not terribly successful for the early adopters. (Paperstone counters were also popular when we were doing our kitchen and those have fared similarly.)