SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

What do you think of sconce style? Which finish?

gtdj519
21 days ago
last modified: 21 days ago

Hi

i am redoing our family room. the walls will be white. i will be using 4 of these sconces on the walls.. what so you think of the style? They are glass heads with a bit of frosted white ; like a strie glass.. they resemble rock crystal.. when they are on, it gives a gentle diffused glow., we also have recessed lighting.

also, this is the brushed nickel finish, or i could get it in a polished nickel finish. The lighting store did not have any polished nickel in stock to being home and sample.

there are no other metal finishes in the room, so i am not trying to coordinate.

For a family room, brushed nickel or polished nickel?

the room is in clean out mode, getting ready to paint etc, so pay no attention to what is presently in the room.

we are replacing the 2 sconces currently pictured here and there will be two sconces on the opposite wall on the other side of the room

Comments (45)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    21 days ago

Sorry but those locations are made for art, use the existing power to go to picture lights.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    21 days ago

art??? I have a 12 foot blank wall on the opposite side. i will placing art on the big wall on the oppostie side. I honestly never thought that those locations were made for art . they are small wall spaces.

thanks though for the suggestion

• Related Discussions

What do you think of my kitchen finishes?

Q

Comments (16)
    hollysprings - I should have been more specific when I posted the photoshopped picture, but the cabinets in that photo are actually gemini16's. I wasn't able to get my own sample door in there and have it look right. My door is in the other pictures. It's definitely not stark white. It's a custom color that the builder made for me, so I can't give you a specific name, but it is a creamy color - almost with a light yellow tone that matches my kitchen table's color... I'd say it's a shade lighter than the biscotti sample above.
    ...See More

What Style/Era do you think of when you see this faucet?

Q

Comments (15)
    I agree with snookums. Has an industrial feel, and the lines make it feel contemporary to me. The shape of the spokes on the handles look contemporary to me, versus vintage. But the faucet itself could pass for anything from contemporary/industrial to genuinely vintage.
    ...See More

What do you think about these sconces?

Q

Comments (11)
    I think part of what's throwing us off is that your closeup of the piano wall is made from the stairway so you're looking down on the piano, and it makes the piano look super short to us, and the wall hanging takes all our focus. Try making a picture from the main level just behind the piano bench or slightly to the left side if necessary to get it in. Plus I think if you use sconces, they should be closer to the wall hanging and lower (maybe halfway down the side of the painting), so they and the painting are viewed as a unit rather than having them so far out from the piano and painting. If you already have the wiring in place where you showed them, then I realize that's not what you want to hear. Personally neither sconce style excites me with the rest of your things, but I think the one on the right is the better of those two. But if you like them, that's what matters.
    ...See More

Where do you have wall sconces?

Q

Comments (18)
    "... How many would be the next question..." And the answer is...wait for it..."it depends!" :-) Depends on so many things, beginning with the design and type of sconce: is the light throw down, up, sideways or all of the above, or none of the above. There are many, many kinds of sconces, just as with any other type of fixture. At the end of the day, one is left with a question or two: 1) Am I concerned about lighting something(s) specific, and; 2) Do I care if the fixture is visible, and/or is an "eye magnet"? The answers to these questions will tend to answer "how many?" :-)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    21 days ago

No to the sconces. They will not provide the quality of light needed for this room.

Yes to table lamps

Yes to floor lamps

Yes to picture lights

Yes to plant up lights

Yes to downlights in the ceiling if possible.

The sconces you selected IMO are more suited to a bathroom.

For sconces in a living area, consider sconces with shades. They project a softer light in the room.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    21 days ago

I am not so sure i want sconces with fabric shades. I feel shades get dusty, wear and tear over time, fade/ change color.

i have shades on my dining room chandelier and regret going that route., as I have had to replace them to keep it looking nice..

i thought glass sconces would be better as cleaning is a breeze. I dont think these look like bathroom lights, but perhaps its a difference of opinion. I passed on many that flet ” bathroomy” to me, but these did not. I have existing wiring / sconces, so i would like to use them.

• Maureen
    21 days ago

It‘s really based on your taste and probably only you will be aware of the metal, especially given the prominence of the shades.

• Jilly
    21 days ago

New project!

I like the little bit of texture the brushed gives, but really either could work fine. The lights cover most of them anyway.

They’re lovely and quite striking. I think they’ll look great.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Excellent points maureen and jilly. the glass heads are the prominent feature, and the metal really isn't the majority of the fixture. i didn't really consider that point , but it makes sense.

i had started out with shade choices , but decoded to explore glass instead.

the present sconces wete here when we bought the house , and honeslty have just been unnoticed for 10 years 😂 they are pretty plain and unremarkable. the space served as our daughters‘ playroom, so we really didnt care much about esthetics. now that they are teens, we are ready to revamp it and make it more humanized. LOL.

I would like to make it comfortable, as it will be used as a TV, family/ office space, yet have an elegant serene style.

• Jilly
    21 days ago

Looking forward to seeing how it comes along!

… elegant serene style.“

All of your rooms do, you have a great eye. :)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Thanks jilly it never ends! LOL

i will do another round of looking for sconce options. to consider as well.

do like these. I thought they were unique and eye catching, very different from everything i have been seeing, but perhaps there are better options. 🤷‍♀️

I

• btydrvn
    21 days ago

lighting is a functional item first..style second…in a family room that will be evolving as the children grow..

More versatile…casual…lighting ….seems more appropriate…moveable floor lamps…with heavy bases that won’t tip over….maybe arched so they can swing to cover more area…

clip-on lamps that can be attached to little,low tables where kids sit on the floor….and can later be attached to a desk or bedside table (for stability) as they grow older….

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Thank hou, but my daughters are now 14 and 17. this use to be their playroom and we are redoing it to be a family room for grown children and adults.

• Maureen
    21 days ago

Consider the furniture, the overall look you are aiming for, amount of light required, and proportions if placing something underneath or adding curtains.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Thanks maureen! i know the look i like, so i have no problem envisioning it. i would love a soft light blue sectional / ottomans and I am getting fabric samples coming. we have the TV in its place , where it is staying, a media shelf/ csbinet underneath it , and we have a new desk for office work, and my daughters piano. Other than that, there really isn’t anything else. i will be adding an area rug and roman shades to the windows.

we have recessed lighitng, and although ugly, we have used the existing sconces over the years for when we would watch a movie and didnr want overhead lighting , so they are useful. My electrician is coming tomororw to see if we can add a sconce to the long wall, as there is only one therre currently(?) we always thought it was odd. Perhaps what i may consider is doing 2 sconces in the long wall and maybe the 2 picture lights as previously suggested on the window wall, and add family portraits. (?)

just an idea if not that layout, then i would do all 4 sconces ( if the fourth can be added .)

see…. this is the opposite wall. weird how the previous owners only put one sconce

Ignore the chaos…. please no comments to change the furniture, get rid of wall stickers, why is there a ball there? …. etc. We are in the midst of a cleanout after 10 years of it being a playroom. NOTHING is staying so do not focus on it please.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    21 days ago

palimpsest- interesting comparison , as i do like murano / kalmar. i didnt think of it, but maybe that was what i thought was unique about it .

I am not crazy about metal portion which is why i was asking which finish may have been best. i dont know…. maybe i need to look for other options. back to the drawing board.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    21 days ago

These sconces are available with glass shades.

There are all manner of sconces there to pick from that don't look like they were repurposed from a bathroom.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    20 days ago

I'd remove the existing, make sure my recessed were dim capable.

Get an electrician, remove/kill the sconce connection at the circuit box, and bury them once and for all. and before painting

Add lamps whether standing or table. Wall sconces are indeed accent lighting but they are also very permanent. Had they not been in the room to begin? Would you be insisting on having them? I bet not.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    20 days ago

We have actually found the use of sconces beneficial in this room, as we would use thrm when wanting some lighting, but not the recessed. with the shape / size of the room it doesnt really have much ability to add end tables/ floor lamps, as then seating/ sofa/ sectional would have to be smaller. being able to seat people is more important than fitting lamps somehwere. Would i be adding sconces if they werent here? it is something id consider for the reasons i just mentioned , but being that they are already here, and i see how they have been useful over the years, id rather keep them than get rid of them.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    20 days ago

We've really no clue the size of the room nor what is possible , because we have no drawing or dimensions of that room : )

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    20 days ago

IMO wall sconces for actual lighting are a poor choice in fact I rearely like them inside at all except maybe a bthroom. I have no idea of style since we have no idea of your style . IMO floor lamps and table lamps are what you do to add lighting in a space with pot lights . I have rarely come across a space that cannot have lighting in those two types , I think if you want help with a lighting plan then we need info and if this is the plan then we still need info.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    20 days ago

many people have wall sconces and like them , or in fact love them, both indoors and outdoors. they arent a main source of lighting in this case.

yes, floor and table lamps are options , but so are sconces when a person needs to or wants to keep floor space to a maximum or a person prefers for less objects/ pieces in a room. its really a matter of preference. i have not minded having them and they have worked for us so far.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

took some time looking at other options, with shades - some have fabric shades some have white glass shades .

are these better options?

These have single and double versions

• ilikefriday
    20 days ago

I really love the original sconces you selected in either finish. I think they are very unique. The best selection will depend on what else you have going on in the room.

gtdj519 thanked ilikefriday
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    20 days ago

thank you ilikefriday. The room will have a sectional, desk and small piano . rug, art, roman shades will be added. not much else….. it will now serve as a second family room:/ TV room

walls will be white, sectional in a soft light blue , with light gray and white accent pillows. hard to show anything right now as we are in the midst of redecorating. But… thats my descriptiom of the vision for the room

• ilikefriday
    20 days ago

Can't wait to see it all put together!

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thank you! i am reconsidering the original sconces, as i am not crazy about the metal I think the glass is very unique and pretty, it looks nice in person, but comments about it looking like for a bathroom has me concerned now. I didnt think so, but i do take all things into consideration, and I could see how maybe it could be used in a bathroom ( although I wouldnt )

I didnt want the shade route, but perhaps they are better suited for a family room. so i am reconsidering them now.

• JP L
    20 days ago

Go with your gut on this - I think they would work fine in your space. I love wall sconces, too - and am (gasp!) eliminating any/all recessed lights in our house. The horror!!

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    20 days ago

JP L

lol….no horror in what you are doing. some people don’t like recessed lighting. there is no absolute that you must have it ( although some on houzz may give an argument about it) you have to do what works best in your space.

Quite a few pros have commented get rid of the sconces, not right for the space etc…. however , i completley disagree , as they have served us very well for 10 years. I have no interest in burying them whatsoever. I just need to replace/ update existing ones and my electrician came today and said there is no issue with installing the 4th, so that both walls will be symetrical with the sconces now ; 2 sconces on both walls

i see no reason fornyou to keep recessed lights if you dont like them. go for it youre not breaking any ” rules” 😊

• Elizabeth K
    20 days ago

Hi gtdj519!

Oh my goodness! As a decorator, and any decorator will tell you — please keep those sconces! Lovely, unique, and certainly not for a bathroom. Some interior designers push every light fixture to look uniform, sell sell sell! For excellent taste and style, this is a zero! Makes your home look prefabricated and hotel! (Decorator humor: The interior designer sold her a dentist’s hotel — please forgive me IDs! You know who you are lol!)

NO decorator would allow you to shuffle lovely, natural pieces off to hide.

First poster is correct, sconces go about a foot from each window. And Gasp! I recommend a muted platinum to nickel finish, much kinder for for coordinating with color. Warm metals make white glow! I suggest a tall lamp in whatever metal finish you choose for adjacent window…hunting…

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thank you for your opinion elizabeth K. i appreciate it. i tend to like items for my home that are tasteful, yet have something slightly unique,about it.

Some of the new sconce options that i am also considering and posted previously; have small details that make them a bit different. i dont like extreme modern, i dont want a plain arm sconce with a shade , i dont want a clear head with exposed bulb…I’m gathering ideas and considering suggestions. appreciate it!

• Elizabeth K
    20 days ago

Oh dear … here! Imagine the painting as the adjacent window, hang with bottom a foot above, or showing six inches from outside … and trust yourself! The sconces are coastal, dreamy, light…just run with your style and don’t look back! Post more to let readers see

what you decide! ❤️

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    19 days ago

Any of your alternate selections are 10x better than the original sconce you proposed. It's the quality of the light emitted by the sconce, not the design. The best test would be to install two different sconces and then evaluate the results.

Design is subjective. You can like the design of a fixture but if the light emitted isn't correct for the room, the design of the sconce has little effect on your decision..

I laugh when people post the phrase, 'go with your gut'!!! That phrase only applies to how a person feels about a choice. Your 'gut' cannot discern design or functional criteria for a selection..

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Honestly, buying and installing a light to see how it lights up , and then returning sconces is out of the question. no matter where i have ever purchased lighting from , be it online or at a lighting store , their policy is that a fixture cannot be returned if it was installed. not to mention, that a majority have 20 percent restocking fees. so even if it was not installed, buying various lights and then having to pay a 20 percent restocking fee on multiple fixtures, costing anywhere between $300-$600 each adds up to be a lot very quickly and money burned. The only reason i am able to return the original one i was considering is because it was a sample from their store.

Again, these sconces arent my only and main source of lighting, most of the styles i am looking at will illuminate in a similar way, as they are similar styles; with the exception of the original, they are all either 1 or 2 lights with shades .

• Kendrah
    19 days ago

I'm a huge sucker for a good set of scones. In the right location they are not only functional lighting but great sculptural art. The ones you select immediately looked like they came from a bargain bin bathroom fixture store. I love the moody glass but the fixtures themselves feel like a proportional design mistake slaped on a left over vanity base. The others that you posted feel like sad cookie cutter sconces.

So, I'd keep on looking for a fantastic sconce that has a great artistic Murano type look and will be a feature of the room. You have a clear vision for the room, it sounds like a great way to put a more grown up vibe in this space, and with a little more shopping time, I think it will come together.

Check out some Kelley Wearstler sconces at Visual Comfort. They are pricey but if you like some, do a google image search of them and you'll likely find similar lower priced versions.

You can also get lost in Etsy sconce shopping for hours! https://www.etsy.com/market/murano_glass_sconce

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    19 days ago

At $350, it wasnt much of a bargain basement deal lol

i dont want cookie cutter either, and i honestly don’t see the other options ad being such. i think tbey each have unique feature about them.

the second one you posted is okay the last one looks like a giant tylenol pill. nay on that.

• JP L
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

I laugh when people post the phrase, 'go with your gut'!!! That phrase only applies to how a person feels about a choice. Your 'gut' cannot discern design or functional criteria for a selection.

Glad I could bring you a laugh. As for me, I'm trying to decorate a home I live in, not build a design portfolio or land in AD. My gut reaction to an element is more relevant than someone else's professional opinion. And honestly, some of the advice given here is just plain BAD. There, I said it. Should someone buy and install sconces they hate just because some internet stranger who claims a certain degree of unproven expertise thinks they suck?

My advice? If you truly are drawn to something, the LAST thing you should do is post it to this forum. Someone - maybe not everyone - but someone will assuredly try to rain on your parade.

Often when I visit this site, I'm reminded just why people AVOID hiring "professional designers." In the wrong hands, it becomes a bossy person who tries to dictate things you don't authentically love or want in your own home.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

Agree on so much JPL. I often take great suggestions from many kind and helpful houzzers, and am grateful for times i saw things from another perspective and was saved from making the wrong choice. However, I equally as often have gone with my gut just as you say, and have had zero regrets. I find that at times I will ask a particular question, ( in this case what color metal finish) and the qiestion goes off topic about something I didnt ask about. I never asked if I should add scones nor did I ask for help for a lighting plan that requires floor plans. I wasnt crazy about the hardware on this sconce, so i am open to looking at other options, and many of the ones I chose i like for one reason or another. but the gut never guides you wrong you are correct!!

• Kendrah
    19 days ago

I agree with the gigantic Tylenol. None of those sconces I posted are at all my taste. Just trying to riff off of what I imagine your sconces to be - a hybrid of rock candy and dirty Q-tip! And $350 per sconce is actually rather inexpensive. Again, keep looking as you finish the other elements of your room. The electrician and always put pigtails as place holders. I've had two of them in my house going on two years while I search for the pefect fixture.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Yes unfortunately one of thenones you posted would go with my home or ate my taste. I appreciate the suggestions though.

Thoughts about cost is personal and I do have a budget. What may seem inexpensive to some, may be costly to someone else and what they can afford to pay towards a purchase. I can afford a range of about $300-$500 per sconce, and in my world and othet priorities that i need to pay for, that isn’t inexpensive. I wish my budget was higher , but this is where I am and I am hopeful and confident that I can find a beautiful option for our space for the amount I can afford.

yesterday I was actually was able to order this sconce that I had found as a sample, with no penalty to return as long as its not installed. From the pics, I think it looks very pretty and would go well with the style of my home and how I am envisioning the room to look.

• Kendrah
    18 days ago

Yes, the one you ordered is much more attractive than the bathroom looking one. It seems sophisticated and casual at the same time. Glad you found the rare lighting store that allowed you to order and return with no penalty. Regarding price, I meant that $350 is at the lower end of the price range. I should not have used the word inexpensive. Expense is certainly subjective. Lord knows there are many people who could not even afford to entertain the idea of purchasing sconces at all.

When you receive the sconce, and if you like it, I'd trace it out on a paper bag and hang four of the cut outs on the wall to get a sense of whether it is the appropriate scale or will get lost in the room.

Please post after pics so we can see after it has all come together.

• Jilly
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

That’s beautiful, gtdj. It‘s very ’you’ — really reminds me of you and your style.

I still like the original one, but like this one much better.

I hope it looks nice in person. :)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Got the blown glass sconce.

they sent the wrong hardware color ( gold instead of silver- so i have to exhange it if i decide to keep it ) but this is how it looks in person.

i may order these silver ones

below as well to compare which one i like better in the space

• Jilly
    13 days ago

I like the glass ones very much, but also like that you’re trying other options to see what you like best. I know you — when you see what you love, you know it!

Excited to see how this room progresses. :)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Thanks Jilly they dont photograph well. They are really beautiful in person. The glass has pretty swirls in them and they dangle/ have movement/ sway. The room will be painted white, so I am just wondering how a sconce with more silver/ metal in it would look against white walls. I have this one up against the white sample on my wall, but wonder if they will get lost since the shade is white and the glass is clear. it could have a soft ethereal look though, which could look stunning.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

I purchased a few sconces... some felt a bit too formal for the space. i considered this starburst one, but it felt a bit thin/ smaller shade and didnt really fill the wall nicely.

this one felt too formal

this one just laid flush against the wall and the only projection was the shade.

in the end, I am going with the thre orb blown glass one. it really is very pretty, has a light airy feel to it, and is a bit bigger in size. i am glad I ried other styles, as it made me realize how mich i like these.. They are a bit unique and think they will look beautiful.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022