SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julianaayaz

Two dishwashers side by side - crazy or genius?

J Jabbay
21 days ago

We are sold on having two dishwashers, but I REALLY love the convenience of having the trash next to the sink (ease of access, compost, etc). I don't want to give up the prime spot to the 2nd dishwasher that may get used 1x a week (if that).

Everything I have read / seen so far shows them on each side ...but then I stumbled on this photo. There is not much context to this, and minimal information.

Thoughts?

Comments (59)

• sarahsaccount24
    21 days ago

If you have a slightly longer sink, you can put a pullout trash under one side of the sink and keep your dws on both sides!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    21 days ago

A lot of "garbage" can be generated in either. It depends what you are creating in food stuff. It is both trash, and recycle and food scrap.

Usually? The folks that put the most over think into multiples of anything? Are the ones that can not use a single of anything, efficiently.....and just double or triple confusion and mess.

No different than those who have two hundred "organizing" bins and containers, only to find them all full, and no clue as to what lurks inside any of them. But that's a different discussion, for a different day......and shall apply to drawers, closets, and really, any room in a home.

Go right ahead and beat me up. What do you think I've seen in 33 years of this business: )?

• Related Discussions

which side dishwasher?

Q

Comments (6)
    Agree with chipshot and weedmeister. You also want to think about workflow in reference to how you like to cleanup. I've always preferred DW on left partly because I'm left-handed, but mainly because of my preferred workflow. By plan, the left side of my sink is closer to the dining area and main prep area where things that need to be cleaned tend to accumulate. The way I like to work is to clear all the dishes from the tables and pots and pans from the kitchen to the left side of my sink which, like yours, has a bigger basin on the left. From there I sort what goes into the dishwasher directly below and then hand wash larger cutting boards & bowls, non-stick pots & pans and wood-handled knives. I like to wash in the bigger sink and rinse in the smaller sink and I prefer to go from left to right because restaurant cleaning stations always go from left to right. I had a little bit of a fight with my KD who felt that the DW traditionally goes on the right. He said that over time you can easily get used to it being on either side. So I think you'll be able to get used to either way. It's all about convenient/efficient access and your preferred work-flow. Obviously my vote is on the left. Best wishes.
    ...See More

Side casing on Miele 18' dishwasher?

Q

Comments (2)
    Get him to install the cabinets correctly. Partially dismantling the dishwasher would almost certainly void your warranty, and very likely compromise the the sound insulation on the machine. His observation that "Most dishwashers don't have this casing" -- is just plain stupid. Most dishwashers aren't as quiet and as reliable as Miele dishwashers, either. You paid a premium price for Miele quality, don't let some knuckle-brained carpenter who can't read specifications make the decision on this one. How would removing a side panel help, anyway? The widest dimension on the machine is the frame around the dishwasher door. Removing a side panel isn't going to make the door frame any narrower.
    ...See More

Dishwasher left or right side of sink?

Q

Comments (23)
    Pass, indeed. I've already taken the "dear" to smooth the waters... I say "just leave the dishes, I'll load the dishwasher", better that than have her find something else. I've already stated we've been married almost 50 years, so while I still haven't figured "it" all out, I've developed some defensive strategies... albeit more work for me. Still, she is a good cook, and does spend some time fixing a nice dinner most nights. And as you could guess by the length of time we've been married, I'm retired and need something to do anyway. This dishwasher started off with at lease one strike against it. First she wanted a washer with the controls on the upper edge, so the front had no visible controls, just a full width handle, otherwise a flat white surface. Our last maching was stainless steel inside, as most of the upper price models are. After reading in Consumer Reports (no longer a favorite of mine for other reasons) I learned that stainless adds nothing but cost. So while we got a machine with "hidden" controls, it is "plastic" inside. So, better she doesn't have to look inside: that's two strikes: utensil basket location, and not stainless. I think the machine does a good job, it is bigger than our past model, so we get two days (if I push) per wash and it uses less hot water, this sums to big energy$$ savings. Since these were my main goals in getting a new dishwasher, I can figure that's my pay for "doing the dishes". Yes, I know how good a job the machine does because I also empty the dishwasher.
    ...See More

Which diswashers? Needs to look good as there are two side by side!

Q

Comments (7)
    We did one panel dishwasher and one non-paneled dishwasher. I like the arrangement. However, I think a dishwasher on either side would have had its pros as well (more space on both sides of the sink for example.) It does not look awkward at all. I think the key was having one be a paneled DW (Bosch was what we bought for paneled.)
    ...See More
  • auntthelma
    21 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

I have two dishwashers and I love it. One is in the butlers pantry by a minisink and only gets used with big parties. But, they are separated by several steps. So I can see yours working. Though, since you are in planning stage, a better setup would be one on either side of the sink.

• Theresa Peterson
    20 days ago

Two dishwashers? Crazy.

- You say they may both be used once a week? For that once a week, the dishes can sit /wait through the first load.

- Duplicate appliances pushes up the size of your kitchen. That increases the amount of cabinetry you need, your total cost and the number of steps you take in preparing a meal.

• Maureen
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

Gather when you use 1/week, it’s when you need both, so having them separated allows for someone to be helping load/unload. Another advantage is loading based on the proximity of where the items are stored.

In set up below, you should reverse the trash/dishwasher, if plumbing allowed.

• dan1888
    20 days ago

Get the main dw and the often used trash where they are most functional. Either side of the sink. Put the 2nd dw on the other side of the trash. Follow the use hierarchy. Pure logic.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    20 days ago

What about putting a trash pullout under the sink and then putting the DW's on either side? The other option if you don't think you need two full-sized DW's is to get a stacked drawer DW, like Fisher-Paykel makes. I had a client who kept kosher and this was a great solution for them given that they didn't have unlimited space.

Ulm St Kitchen · More Info

• kevin9408
    20 days ago

I have three dishwashers, one next two the sink and the other two in front of the sink. They're either me or my wife.

I DO not see the need for two dishwashers unless you have a dozen people in the house, and then can't a few of them do dishes?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    20 days ago

I run a catering biz from my home and I hvae 1 DW it has a quick wash cycle that does a load in 23 mins. I even find it great when we have a dinner party to do the load from each course as we get the next one plated. If once a week is the use IMO awaste of money and you do know DWs used all the time last longer .

• ci_lantro
    20 days ago

We are sold on having two dishwashers.... the 2nd dishwasher that may get used 1x a week (if that). ...I REALLY love the convenience of having the trash next to the sink (ease of access, compost, etc)

Who or what 'sold' you on two DW's? I suggest rethinking this.

It does not sound like you really 'need' the second DW.

Downsides:

Loss of potential storage space. (I would prefer a drawer stack over a second DW.)

When the most used DW bites the dust, you will be replacing both DW's so they will match.

Potentially giving up convenient access to trash & compost bucket---a multiple x a day thing vs a mostly unused second DW.

• blueskysunnyday
    20 days ago

We have 2 DWs flanking the clean-up sink for our family of 4 and we love, love, love it. It really makes life easier. There are so many different scenarios where I think about how happy I am to have that second empty DW, ready to be loaded. We have our trash on the island, next to the prep sink. I planned to put a small trash under the clean-up sink for scraping into, but my husband persuaded me to wait and we have found the island trash is fine. We are the type to empty a DW as soon as it is done, so there is always an empty DW waiting for that item that is too large for the half-full DW and there is no more running a half-full DW so you can empty it in anticipation of a large amount of dirty dishes. I now put our pots and pans in the DW (better for the environment) instead of handwashing them to save room in the DW. We never have dirty dishes in the sink awaiting the end of the DW cycle. If the middle and lower racks fill at different rates, no big deal — overflow goes into the empty one. As soon as a DW cycle is started, I move the black leather tassel that means “load this one” to the other DW. Also, I doubt anyone with two DWs has ever thought of it as a flex or status symbol. I think it often cheaper than 24” of cabinetry.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    20 days ago

Not going to beat you up on the dishwasher qty for your kitchen. If that is what you want, then by all means. As far as placement goes, I truly do not see an issue with the one posted above.

I feel that a new kitchen is like learning a new dance. If you really want the garbage on one side of the sink, then go for it. You will use the dishwasher closest to the sink on a regular basis.

I would do the cabinet panels over the doors so it is more integrated looking and if you do have to replace one, chances are the door panel will still be the right size. .

Good luck

• Boxerpal
    20 days ago

I would love 2 dishwashers.. I have DW envy of my sister in law and my close friend.

DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTtttttttttttttt!

But for me not side by side. I am the biggest clutz and would break stuff with my short limbed reach. Unless you had giant long retractable arms like Inspector gadget I think it would be a real PIA to reach to put your glassware on the farthest dw.

• blueskysunnyday
    20 days ago

I think there is a potential issue of seals drying out or something if a DW is not used regularly so if you plan to use just one primarily, make sure to use the other one sometimes too. However, I really enjoy using both and alternating. I’ve had the set-up since August and we still talk about how happy it makes us all the time.

• bichonbabe
    20 days ago

I love having 2 dishwashers! One on each side of my sink . Don’t listen to the naysayers !

• J Jabbay
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thank you for ALL your inputs - good, bad and other - i appreciate the honesty!

For background, we entertain A LOT and having a DW for dishes and another for larger trays would be glorious — and because we have the space it makes sense for us. It’s the layout that was stumping me and ultimately ended up with what Maureen suggested. We don’t have a Butler’s pantry or another area where it would fit well. As for the trash, we have two, one in the prep zone and one near the sink.

Thanks again!

• HU-214819461
    17 days ago

My mother had 2 dishwashers at a beach house, one for dishes and the 2nd for large pots and extra stuff, so all the dishes can be done at once and not have to hand-wash a pot. The 2nd one was in an island diagonal from the sink, and it wasnt too hard to fill since you are really just putting larger items in it. Even further down a counter would also work just fine.

• skmom
    17 days ago

Before we were empty nesters, we were a homeschooling family with 5 kids. I often wished we had 2 dishwashers. I loathe doing lots of dishes by hand, so we almost always had dishes waiting for the dishwasher while it was running. (We always ran it twice a day, minimum; often more than that as we had so many at home for all meals in a day.) In my previous kitchen, which we did our own custom, gut job remodel (hubby designed and built all cabinetry) we seriously considered two dishwashers, but decided it wasn’t worth the real estate given the L shape constraints. (We would’ve been cramped in the corner to keep sink placement centered under the window) I ended up placing my trash compactor in the island, not quite directly behind where I stood at the kitchen sink. It worked beautifully... even better than I had hoped, to be honest. The island was my main prep space in that kitchen, so it just worked really well. However, if you’re mainly using the 2nd dishwasher for large platters and overflow for when you entertain, I see no problem with placing them side by side so long as you don’t keep them both open for loading/unloading at the same time. I think two dishwashers is a very nice luxury, and why shouldn’t we enjoy some luxuries if we are able to?

• jennsbabysky
    17 days ago

If you have the space, two dishwashers sounds amazing to me! I do like the idea of one on each side of the sink or one next to main sink and one next to prep sink (full size or 18"). At our previous home we had the dishwasher drawers. I loved them, especially the top drawer. It was so convenient not to stoop on a daily basis (and I was relatively young in that house, still nice not to stoop). In my "dream" kitchen, I'd have a nice 24" dishwasher next to the main sink and either just the top drawer (so storage below) or double drawer dishwasher next to the secondary sink. Because on the days I have less dishes, I'd really like to use that top drawer dishwasher for the bulk of dishwashing.

However, I love to bake and tend to bake in bulk when I do (which isn't as often as I'd like) and my husband really likes to cook. So having two zones and the extra dishwasher when we're entertaining would be so nice.

• Mrs Pete
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I find it sad that people on here have to “brag” that they only run the dishwasher every other day or twice a week.

You see that as bragging? I'd call it discussion /realism.

It does not sound like you really 'need' the second DW.

I'd argue that no one "needs" a second dishwasher, but many things discussed in detail on this board are far from "needs".

Loss of potential storage space.

In my mind, this is the big deal. When you add a duplicate dishwasher, you're probably going to add in more cabinetry for storage ... cabinets are expensive, counter tops are expensive. And duplicate this and that drives up the size of your kitchen, adding steps to your work each day.

It's hard to beat SIMPLE and well-designed.

For background, we entertain A LOT and having a DW for dishes and another for larger trays would be glorious

I understand having a lot of dishes when you entertain, but I don't see the problem in running one load while another is sitting in the sink waiting.

• Kate Cowers
    12 days ago

Paper plates, anyone???

• dani_m08
    12 days ago

@Kate Cowers - 😂 You have now potentially subjected yourself to (i) comments about filling landfills unnecessarily, and (ii) being looked down upon for even suggesting that you’d have guests over and subject them to flimsy plates!!!

OP - I’ve never thought about having two full dishwashers - but I have thought about adding a dishwasher drawer. I am half Italian - and when my family is over - we use A LOT of dishes/pans/utensils.

It would be nice to have a second dishwasher at those times because I CANNOT just let dishes sit in the sink - waiting for the current load to finish. I feel compelled to wash them by hand (might be a little OCD about it - it’s something I learned from my mom) - and that wastes water + causes me to miss out on just relaxing with my family immediately after dinner.

But - most of the time, it’s just two of us here - and one dishwasher works just fine.

It would work better if I could ”teach” my SO that the sink is not a “staging area” for dishes/glasses to wait prior to being placed into the dishwasher.

• pennfire
    12 days ago

" It would be nice to have a second dishwasher at those times because I CANNOT just let dishes sit in the sink - waiting for the current load to finish. "

@dani_m08 are you related to my husband?

When we remodeled our kitchen, my husband begged for a second dishwasher. (he is the clean up crew) I can't tell you how much I regret agreeing to the second dishwasher. I cook from scratch twice, sometimes three times a day for my family.

If you have the room, get the second DW.

• dani_m08
    12 days ago

@pennfire - Well, now I’m going to have to find room for it in my layout 😂

• loobab
    12 days ago

In my salad days I entertained more, and large groups too.

When I figured out how much all those disposable plates and bowls and utensils would cost me, (the quality ones that wouldn't leak through and break off, etc,) I realized that it would be less expensive to hire someone to wash the dishes as they were generated for any overflow that wouldn't fit in the dishwasher, or for things I needed right away that couldn't wait until the dishwasher cycle was finished.

Not only that, by having someone work during the meal and just afterwards, when all was said and done, I had happy guests because I was relaxed and I was happy because I had a clean kitchen. She even helped serve!

Win - Win.

• Kate Cowers
    11 days ago

dani dani dani........smdh again. Lighten up. It was a joke. Sheesh!!!

• Kate Cowers
    11 days ago

And BTW to the OP: if you want two dishwashers for any or all of the reasons notes in these posts, go ahead and get two dishwashers. My "serious" input would be to not put them side by side; I think the comments about having to reach over the first one to get to the second one are valid. Either side of the sink? Yes. Close to each other but not side by side? Yes.

• Carol Coons
    9 days ago

I perfectly understand 2 dishwashers. especially if you actually cook real food several times a day rather than processed garbage you throw in the microwave, or waste money hitting the drive thru.

• Carol Coons
    9 days ago

I perfectly understand, you actually cook food, rather than nuking processed garbage or wasting money hitting the drive thru.

• Michelle Paluck
    9 days ago

We’ve had 2 DWs in our last 3 homes, & prefer having them identical & flanking a super single cleanup sink (with a smaller sink in the prep area). Almost everything goes in them, so we chose Miele with the 3rd cutlery tray. We alternate them & use a Clean/Dirty magnet on each.

• Janet Rendle
    9 days ago

I've 2 dishwashers 20 , 1

• Janet Rendle
    9 days ago

• Janet Rendle
    9 days ago

• aniluap2
    8 days ago

We entertain quite a bit and do many wine tastings. Having a second dishwasher for wine glasses is a privilege that I fully appreciate. The OP was asking for advice not criticism of her choice for convenience. I don’t understand what pleasure people derive by bashing someone they do not even know. As the old saying goes…’if you have nothing nice to say…’ it does not diminish us in anyway to be kind to others, but the reverse of that also holds. My only comment to the OP is not go with Fisher Paykel drawers. We had to replace ours after 5 years of continual problems, with minimal use, vs the Miele which is still going strong after 11 years and daily use.

• dadoes
    8 days ago

My F&P DishDrawer (a double-drawer unit) will be 21 years in 4 more months. It has had a few repairs, all DIYed, none of which justified replacing it.

• jkm6712
    8 days ago

I have two dishwashers and love it. My second one is in my dish pantry along with a single bowl sink that's great for soaking large pans.

• Sharon
    8 days ago

In my dream kitchen there will be two dishwashers. Holidays are always at our house with number of guests routinely around 12-14. We do formal dinners and used lots of dishes and cutlery. I’d love the second dishwasher for wine and cocktail glasses and serving platters etc. we currently have to do two loads and lots of handwashing just to clean up.

• aniluap2
    8 days ago

dadoes I think the older models of Fisher Paykel were built better than the more recent ones per my repair people’s experience.

• tmarie20
    8 days ago

Yes! Definitely. We have two, one on either side of the sink. So that the dishes could go directly in and not spill water/food on the way over. we added them when we did our kitchen remodel. I also was tired of having dishes pile up in the sink while the dishwasher ran. I would rather have two dishwashers than two ovens, if I had to choose.

• alidenson
    8 days ago

For those of you who are being a bit judgy - maybe they're practicing orthodox.

• HU-836040569
    8 days ago

One of the best reasons to have two dishwashers is that you never have dirty dishes in the sink so your kitchen always looks cleaner. Plus, you really don’t lose Camelot space because what you would ordinarily put in the cabinets such as pots and pans large stage bowls is in the dishwasher one of them either dirty or clean.

• llamamama654
    8 days ago

I was a kitchen designer for 25 years, and no one ever took me up on the concept. What I wouldn't give to NEVER have to put dishes away, ever again!

• Jill B
    8 days ago

I have 2, not side by side. Mine layout is similar to Janet’s. I mainly use the one near the sink but having the space for overflow on busy days is wonderful. I do have a large kitchen with ample storage. A “nice to have”, sure….but I wouldn’t trade it! No regrets!

• Paula R
    8 days ago

If you have room I say go for it. My dishwasher is running for the third time today. We are a family of 4 during the week and 5 on the weekends. And we cook from scratch. My kitchen remodel is 4 years out but I'm going to be pondering this for sure!

• Sigrid
    8 days ago

We have a bog-standard Kitchenaid. Over 20 years old. We've had to replace some parts, none over $25 DIY jobs. The latch on the soap dispenser wore out. A hose to the spinner came loose. That kind of stuff. If we had to call a repairman, it would have been a better bet to buy a new DW.

• terrib962
    8 days ago

I have two dishwashers - one on the end of each arm! Works great and never have dirty dishes sitting around as I wash dishes every evening, and on weekends after every meal. I have all vintage dishes and non could survive an electric dishwasher. Nor could my vintage Revere Ware pans - some of the best cookware ever made - stainless steel. Of course cast iron pans cannot go in the dishwasher either. And - I have to wash my coffee percolator every day if I want to perc coffee the next day. It takes generally about 5 minutes each evening and I do not mind - it is less time than loading and unloading electric dishwasher and I did not have to give up any cabinet space when I restored (removed remodeling) my kitchen to a vintage kitchen. I recommend not having ANY electric dishwashers!!! (exception - restaurants).

• dadoes
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

It may be of interest that the viable mechanical dishwasher was invented by socialite Josephine Cochrane, patented in 1886, marketed in Chicago IL in 1889, and exhibited at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Mrs. Cochrane was distressed that household hired help often damaged her fine dishware during handwashing. She resorted to washing the items herself, found the task a drudge, so developed a hands-off (other than loading/unloading) water spray machine to do the job. Her company eventually became KitchenAid.

• blueskysunnyday
    8 days ago

Terrib962, please look into a tapmaster if you are doing all those dishes by hand. You will save a lot of water.

• skmom
    7 days ago

Different people have different lifestyles. When all of our children were still living at home, we would run our dishwasher at LEAST twice a day. Granted, we had a larger sized family, and as a homeschooling family we tended to eat all meals at home and rarely ate heavily processed food or used paper or plastic in great quantities. When you put dishwashers through the paces like that, you tend to wear them out faster than average. One time, when we were waiting for the delivery of a new dishwasher, I timed us on how long we spent washing dishes by hand each day. We averaged over 2 hours per day washing and drying dishes, because in those large quantities you can’t just leave them drying in a rack as you’d run out of counter space. That time average was with multiple people helping do dishes, it takes longer if the task fell to one person. I haven’t bothered to time myself on doing dishes by hand now that we are empty nesters, but with hubby working from home permanently (so still home for all meals) and me working out of the house 24-30 hrs per week, and we still cook most breakfasts and dinners without using heavily processed foods, we still run our dishwasher once most every evening. It doesn’t always get as fully loaded as it used to, but I sure don’t run it barely loaded. I still hand wash my good knives, cast iron, extra large pots and pans, and my wine glasses, but I’m happy to leave the rest for the dishwasher.