SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_217905960

Outdated kitchen renovation

I just purchased a my first home (yay, go me!), but it has a horrifically inefficient and outdated kitchen. Please excuse the mess, I'm still in the process of moving in. Before I begin, I will note that I am a technical person. I have a keen understanding of functionality, but I do not have a good eye for aesthetic.

I did some CAD mockups of the potential new kitchen. Don't pay any attention to the colours, I just chose the default colours for now. When the time comes one or another of the women in my life will select the colours for me. Also, the thing beside the fridge is a dishwasher. It doesn't really show in the CAD, but it is.

I have a few general questions/topics for debate:

1) You can see in the third picture that there is the awful box that acts as headspace for the stairs to the basement. It extends out from the counter beneath the window by about 16". My contractor said he can bring it in about 6", and if we get a 30" counter, rather than a 24". I was planning on putting a 2 drawer cabinet in that space (which my CAD software did not allow), but it would still be sticking out 4". I don't really want to go wider than 30" because then accessing upper shelves on wall cabinets can be difficult. Does anyone know how to make this look not crappy?

2) Since I think we're going to go with 30" counters, I was planning on going with wall cabinets that are 18" deep. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will accessing the back of those cabinets be a problem? Will it just look downright weird?

3) My girlfriend wants the cabinets to go all the way to the ceiling (our ceilings are 8'). It will obviously be difficult to access things on the top shelf, I get that, but should we split it into two cabinets with two doors, or just have a single exceedingly long door? Any thoughts?

4) The corner unit in the existing kitchen is really, really hard to access. You need to step onto the headspace block just to get anything out. If you couldn't tell, I'm very concerned about being able to use the space well. Any ideas about this?

5) Any other general thoughts, comments, criticisms, ideas, or concerns?

Thanks everyone!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!