SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tupi2020

What interior "views" is it reasonable to expect from an architect?

tupi2020
last year

Please help me figure out if I am being unreasonable in my expectations of what the architects should be showing us in the design process.

They are almost ready to submit the documents for permits. They have not shown us the package, they say they'll give it to us concurrently with submitting to the state. We have asked to see the interior elevations, but they said that these will be in the permit set documents, so we'll see them then.

To date, we have seen the floor plans and exterior elevations. The architects have also shown us some interior renderings, like the one below, showing "pretty pictures" of some of the rooms (but not all). Many of these have become obsolete as we've made changes, but when I asked for an updated set, they said that that is "very unorthodox" and would require additional fees. They said these renderings took them a week to make - I am not asking for renderings, I just want some snapshots of the CAD model, like I can generate with my $50 home design package.

In some of our previous discussions (such as window heights or soffits) they said that they can show us their CAD model to illustrate a particular point - but inevitably they don't.

This all sort of came to a head in our last meeting, when I asked if we can have a look at the CAD model (like they promised) to see some different views. They got very defensive and said that there is no way they will show us the CAD model - you would think I was asking to see Room 39 in North Korea.

It really bothers me having to visualize the entire home from floor plans and exterior elevations. I'm pretty good at visualizing 3D, but still, I am sure there are some angles that I just can't visualize, and looking at a CAD model would be very helpful.

Does this seem normal/typical?

Comments (33)