SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kat_berkery

How to finish butcher block counter in a corner?

Kat Berkery
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hey Houzz!

My counters and cabinet guy is coming in a couple days and I need to get a decision made on a corner detail! We are replacing the old butcher block we have currently since we’re reconfiguring our cabinets and there will be more counter space.

We’ll be doing light rubberwood butcher block tops. Cabs are matte black (ikea kungsbacka) and hardware is a mix of unlaquered brass and matte black. We’ve got a ceramic apron front over mount sink. Our style is a mix of clean minimal with rustic/primitive earthy elements. counter guy can keep the seam where it is currently (pictures below), but finish nicely with bow tie joints. Or he suggested another option where the counter (on the wall with the range) runs all the way to the wall, and he would glue extra butcher block strips to finish the small area next to the sink. So it would be seamless looking. i like the idea of it being seamless (I bake bread so always lots of flour and crumbs), and I like the counter running all the way to the wall, as there will be a marble floating shelf directly above that counter that goes all the way to the wall as well. However, this option would mean that the grain of the countertops would run in different directions on either side of the sink. If you’re standing facing the sink, to the left it would run up and down and to the right it would run side to side. Is that weird? For some reason I feel like it might bother me. Or is it nbd, and totally worth it to get a seamless corner? I have decision fatigue and need input. Thank you!

Pictures below of our kitchen, countertops, and a cad showing the finished look of the range wall. I should note that lower cabs will run all the way to the refrigerator on the range wall, and they will extend further on the sink wall as well. Each arm of the “L” is roughly equal in length.

Comments (12)