SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

42" French door built-in fridges - not many choices!?

ostrich
5 years ago

I live in Canada and I am looking for appliances for my new home which is under construction. While I appreciate that there are many more choices with 48" wide spaces (side by side or columns), if I want a French door built-in fridge, the largest ones that I can find are 42" wide only, and there are not many choices, and I am considering the following:

1. Subzero BI-42UFD/S

2. Jenn Air JS42NXFXDE

3. Dacor Modernist DRF427500AP

While Kitchenaid also makes a 42" FD built-in, I'd rather go with its fancier sibling Jenn Air that has nicer features. I read about the LG 42" built in too but have never seen one so far.

Anyway, when I saw the price differences between Canada and the States for Subzero, I almost fell off my chair! For the SZ 42" FD in Canada, I need to pay over CAD16K (with the stainless panels), while I can get the JA for about 12K with the stainless panels, and the Dacor Modernist can be had for just over 13K but that includes a "free" Modernist dishwasher, and not the stainless panels.

I love the SZ for its height but I hate those wire baskets in the freezer. Furthermore, the door pockets are not big enough for 1 gallon milk, while the JA seems to have a much better interior layout and can hold 1 gallon milk in the door - while this seems like such a minor thing, it probably will annoy me no end if I cannot put the 1 gallon milk in the door! LOL! Also, I love the integrated panelled look with the JA and Dacor, too.

The the Dacor Modernist.... oh my goodness, the interior is STUNNING! However, this one has not been around for long, so the reviews are still out there.... the reviews for the Samsung Chef Collection 42" built in FD fridge which this is based on are also hard to find too. So this may be a bit of a concern. Also, it is quite a tall fridge so it's not great for shorter people like me.

Given the CAD4000+ difference between the SZ and JA, I really have a tough time justifying getting the SZ!!! And the Dacor Modernist is so gorgeous to look at (such a useless reason for buying a fridge! LOL!). I can easily keep the CAD$4000+ to upgrade my oven to a combination steam oven by Miele! :-)

What would you recommend here? Any other choices that you would suggest please? Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)