SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ooohhhtoodles

Lighting plan: where to put the lights in our re-arranged kitchen

ooohhhtoodles
5 years ago

We recently took down a wall, expanded and turned our kitchen layout 90 degrees. I am not an expert in lighting:) I have read that cans should be placed over the edge of the counters and 5 feet apart for our 10 foot ceiling.

My plan was to run cans along the wall with the fridge over the counter and along the opposite wall. Normally, there would be another run above the island, but there is a big support beam that will block some of the light.

Should I just run the cans on either side of the room and put the pendants over the island? We plan to reuse those white pendant lights.

The island will be bigger than shown in the pictures (refer to the CAD sketch for the final plan). We just took what we had in the current kitchen and re-used it until we get the countertops and cabinets.

The kitchen the way we have it now (lights are in the wrong spot because we haven't moved them yet):

Here is the long term plan showing the larger island. The little stars represent my best guess at where the cans would go and the pendants would be over the island. The small squares next to the dishwasher and to the right of the sink are the support posts, and the beam sits over that of course.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (2)