SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makingspaceswork

Importing Craigslist appliance purchase from Canada to USA

Making Spaces Work
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I recently purchased a Wolf range from a seller in Vancouver British Columbia and brought it across the border to the USA. I am writing this because I was unable to find any information for my specific type of transaction. I was very successful with my purchase.

Here is how my transaction worked for me. I had talked to the seller through email and the phone and was comfortable that the range was going to meet my expectations. I rented a Uhaul truck in Washington state, where my new house is. I did a currency exchange so I could pay in CAD. Most of the border banks carry US and CAD currency. A branch of my bank is in Bellingham. Because of the high dollar amount I did call a week ahead of time to make sure the bank would have the amount I needed. With Canadian Dollars in hand I proceeded to cross the Peace Arch border in Blane Washington.

I encountered the Canadian home land security point first. They asked for the Uhaul truck paperwork, driver license and passport. I had a copy of the Craigslist ad and the phone number of the seller in case they wanted to make a call to verify my trip. They looked over the ad and after a thorough search of the truck they let me proceed to the crossing agent. The agent asked many questions about my visit and why I needed a Uhaul truck. They did look at the Craigslist ad. I was allowed to cross. With the seller.... I picked up the range, paid in cash and had the seller write the sale amount on the copy of the ad I brought. I also asked the seller to sign and date it. Based on the sale amount I calculated the price in US Dollars. Re-Entry to USA... An informal entry = declaring value less than 2,500 USD. A formal entry = declaring value over 2,500 USD. An informal entry allows you to go through the non commercial, passenger vehicle lanes. A formal crossing involves additional paperwork and you have to go through the commercial crossing. As I drove toward the USA crossing I ended up going through the Commercial lanes only because I thought my Uhaul truck did not qualify to go through the passenger vehicle lanes. My USA declared value was 2400.00 and I could have gone through the passenger lanes. In the commercial lanes everything went very smoothly. The border agent asked why I was in the commercial lane. I told him the signage was confusing. He asked for my passport, truck rental agreement, and asked about my visit. He asked if the range was UL certified and if it was made in the USA. I answered yes to both. He asked for the sales receipt and declared value. He accepted the sellers written amount on the copy of the ad. There was no import tax or duty because the amount was under 2,500 US dollars and it was manufactured in USA. All in all this went very well but I was over prepared and had spent 2 weeks getting ready for the purchase. Fortunately the seller took my word that I would follow through with the purchase. I ended up saving almost 1,000 on the purchase, This is just the beginning of my kitchen remodel.

Comment