SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hippieindenial

Canadians ordering hostas from the USA

TheHostaCottage
9 years ago

Hi all,
Instead of taking over the Rhino Hide thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

From what I am aware, Naylor Creek, Green Hill, & Plant Delights will ship to Canada. I also heard Q&Z will deliver to non-businesses if you order a certain quantity - I think it was 18 minimum. Q&Z drives a truck across the border and hand delivers so it is not hard for them to add another stop especially if you live in Ontario. Naylor Creek offers a discount for ordering early (usually from October - December for the following spring).

I have been quoted between $50-75 for the phytosanitary certificate which is mandatory to get. You will have to pay shipping when you order and possibly duty when you receive it. Duty is hit or miss so just expect to pay it and be happy if you don't have to.

I do my research and know pricing and which plants are best to get from the USA and which I can get in Canada for less. I make my orders worthwhile. I would not make a $100 order because that wouldn't be cost effective.

Also note that it will be in the mail for a few days and will stop in customs. I tend to get my orders within 2 weeks.
If you can accommodate, it's best to receive your order as early as possible in the spring and get dormant plants.

I hope that helps those of you that have questions about it.
Please let me know if any of you have successfully ordered from other retailers in the USA.

Vanessa

Comments (9)