SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munzerhaque

Mother of all Savings

MunzerHaque
13 years ago

I think, there are some builders and Architect in this forum tries to prop up their fee. I have noticed in this forum some people are suggesting $2.00 to $5.0 per sq. ft. for Architectural drawing. For builders' fee: 15% to 20%.

I think those number are too high. I am in Dallas, Texas.

I am a consumer and in the process of building of my dream home.

This is the process I am following and saving a lot of money.

I bought AutoCAD 2010 Architect, student edition for $175 and a $50 book training manual for it. I spent 3 months learning AutoCAD on my own. Student edition is not water down version, it is the same full version sold to professionals. The only difference is it print "Student Version" on the edges of the print out.

Then I spend 6 months, part time drawing my home. Then I took it to designer to review, partial redraw, fixes, and ensure all standards and building codes. This designer with 20+ years of experience is charging me $0.70 to do so.

In the state of Texas Architect is not required.

I have 2 acre lot. Plan has 6,000 sq. ft. of A/C finished space, and additional 3500 sq. ft. of covered space that includes, 5-car garage, unfinished room above the garage, balcony, sun room, patio etc., This plan also has large negative edge swimming pool with a lap lane.

Normally, via standard process of contacting, builder quoted for $1.4 million to build this house and 15% is their fee. This doesn't include swimming pool, landscape or land cost.

But then, I went to local HBA (Home Builder Association) web site. Down loaded all 383 custom builders contact info. I prepared two pages of builder selection criteria and a form for builder credentialing information. I faxed my documents along with pdf file of my plan to 10 builders at a time. I systematically started to contact all builders and kept a log in excel sheet. I told them I have the 383 builders list and will contact few at a time until i find a builder who will build my home for a fix fee of $80K for his fee regardless of the cost of my house. I explained, that it is not fair to pay extra to a builder just because I pick more expensive items (upgrades)

I think, only extra work on your part should be compensated extra. Picking cheaper or more expensive marble, appliances, kitchen top, light fixtures should increase your fee. Cost plus or fix price is not fair.

I did not have to contact more than 50 builders to find a reputable builder with past experience and reference check who has agreed to work for me for $80K. I have pointed out the extra incentive for him that he will then have access to our subdivision to get more business.

I am paying him $80K in 10 installments over 9 months. I also insisted that I will not go by any contract that is written by one party. In the contract I have put in a clause that I reserve the right to select my supplier and/or subs if I find builder's supplier or subs are more expensive or of lower quality.

Now the builder is going through my HOA credentialing process. I think I will save $100K to $120K in builder fee alone.

I plan to do the mass mailing for bids and quotes for all major works, like foundation, framing, roofing, electrical etc.

Most Architect and builders do not like people like me. I am a consumer advocate.

What do you think about the process I am using?

I want to post pdf files of my house plan. How do you post pdf files here? Just drag and drop or copy and paste did here did not work.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022