SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mythreesonsnc_gw

Elevation questions.....

mythreesonsnc
14 years ago

Hi GW'ers,

I am posting my front elevation with much fear...I know I might face some pretty harsh remarks, but I suppose I'd rather hear them now.... anyway, this elevation is fairly accurate, though the windows will be 6 over 6 windows vs. the odd configuration shown in this CAD drawing (the size is correct as shown, just not the mullions). Additionally, the front door will be different. More like this...

My reason for posting is to ask about several cost saving measures to see if they would be a big deal, or fine to do....

Here are my inspiration pictures....

Archer Buchanan Starry Night Farm (I plan to do a stone like this as well)...

Secondly, on the Russell Versaci website, Wolf Pen Farm (can't seem to link the picture).

Here is my front elevation...I am realizing the scan came through pretty wavy, but I can't seem to fix that, I've tried several times....

Now, for my questions... I would like for this house to look like a Pennsylvania stone farmhouse.

1. Currently we have a stone "water table." If we delete this and just put a trim board it will save us thousands. Will this look OK?

2. If we don't put stone on the sides in the upper triangle (starry night farm has stone here, but this picture below (real estate ad in McLean, VA) doesn't. Again, putting siding here would save many thousands. I think it looks OK in this picture, but wanted to get another opinion....

What do you think?

Finally, I have tried to double check things like proportion of dormers and columns and supports, etc...Like in Traditional Construction Patterns. I believe the dormers are a bit off in this CAD version, but I am wondering about anything else --- know I am putting myself out there and am not interested in hearing about the size of the house because it is what it is, but about architectural details that could be improved upon?

Thanks so much for looking and I appreciate the help.

Comments (13)