SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephfret

how to improve this awkward living room?

stephfret
3 months ago

Hi, I’d love some ideas on how I can improve my awkward living room. It is long and has a corner fireplace that is essentially in the entryway from the front door. We have case openings into the kitchen and dining room, as well as a staircase to contend with.

The fireplace is functional and we love lighting fires in the wintertime, so I like to be able to see it from the sofa. We sometimes move the little entryway sofa in front of the fire to be closer to it, but I hate having to move a piece of furniture around like that. Would be much better to find a permanent arrangement that feels natural, allows traffic flow in the front door and into the kitchen, and also allows us to enjoy the fire.

This is also a dark room that gets very little natural light. The windows on the long wall with the front door look out into a covered front porch, which cuts the light. The two windows behind the sofa so get late morning light, but that’s it. I always have the lamps on.

I kind of hate the wall color (farrow and ball ammonite) which I had read would brighten a dark space but I. Reality it looks dull and nothing-ish.

We are willing and able to do a lot of work to this space, so furniture, built ins etc can be changed or gotten rid of. Id love to think about two phases of improvement:

1. what can I do in the short term to improve furniture placement, wall color, simple fixes to make it work better? Some ideas we have considered: lean into darkness and paint the walls a darker color, replace chairs with lower profile ones and position facing sofa, repaint fireplace, staircase, find a piece of furniture that can live in front of fireplace but doesn’t block front door

2. what longer range ideas might help? Some ideas we have tossed around: replace windows between built-ins with French doors and replace furniture to accommodate, replace front door with a glass one to let in more light, take down wall between staircase and dining room to further open up the space, vault the ceiling above sofa area to open space and define seating area

Thank you for your ideas and help!
See photos of room as it is, and very amateurish drawing. 1 square = 1 ft

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath