SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toomanywhitewalls

LR furniture assistance

toomanywhitewalls
10 years ago
Need to busy some furniture for the living room. This room is on the left hand side as soon as you enter the house. We know we will never use this room so we want to spend the least amount of money as possible. Even though it is the living room I want it to be semi-formal but casual with a pop of color possibly a plum color.

There is one piece of furniture that needs to stay in the room because it doesn't fit anywhere else in the house. We just placed it on that wall to maximize space for all of our other junk. I think it needs to move.

I am trying to possibly incorporate a chesterfield sofa, wingback or slipper chairs and industrial tables or an ottoman. Maybe both a fabric or leather ottoman and some industrial end tables. The one wall in the room is very large.

I also have some bay windows to deal with.

Comments (485)

• toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Wow! I am surprised you like those striped curtains for the dining room. I thought for sure you were going to say they were too casual which was my initial reaction. I really liked them too though.

The family room couch is definitely more of a brownish color than a gray. Sometimes it even takes on hints of green in there. It really does change with the lighting in there. The curtain swatches that I got from Smith and Noble were more caramel color in the background. The pillows are already pretty busy so maybe just do something really simple with the curtains since the wall color is already so bold?

Something like this maybe? These come in up to 108' so I will need to measure. I have pretty high ceilings and it is a sunken family room as well. FR is going to need quite a few panels so I don't want the fabric to be too busy to compete with the wall color.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Good morning, toomany, you're right - I didn't find those curtains too casual at all. I think the back pleated treatment kept them from appearing too casual. So, you would want to avoid grommets for sure! I noticed on Smith & Noble site, there are several options, and probably each one changes the price a bit. So, if you do go for S&N for the DR, try and get a pinch pleat, or X-pleat, or a more formal treatment - and one that hopefully won't break the bank!

I like the color blocked curtains you posted. I put them into collages with that mysterious sofa fabric that appears to be 3 different colors! They both look good, don't they? If the ones with the red on the bottom will work with your walls, I would probably pick them, just because they do bring in the wall color.

Whichever pair you go for (or any other pair, for that matter), you will probably need to throw a couple of red patterned pillows on that sectional to pull the room together.
  • Related Discussions

LR Furniture Size/Layout - Stumped!

Q

Comments (7)
    It's hard to tell from your floor plan, so here are my suggestions: 1. Determine how many people will usually be sitting in these rooms. 2. Get measurement of each room - width and length - great room and gathering room. 3. Look at some of your favorite furniture websites and get measurements of their upholstered chairs and sofas. Some websites have floor plan furniture mockups that you can do. I'm not that tech savvy! Hopefully you are. If you're like me, you'll do the old school thing and cut out a sofa and chair from a piece of scrap paper. Do it to scale for a piece of paper 8 1/2" by 11". Write up your room measurements with 3-6 feet around each seating arrangement - 27 inches at the very minimum. Some people like a room full of furniture - I like a room with a lot of room to move around - it's a personal preference thing. 4. Determine what your focal point is. It may be a window view, fireplace, tv, or wall decor. I have no view, so in my living room it's the tv and wall decor. 5. When your furniture comes in, (if you're like me) you may need to move it around a few times until you get it where you like it. Keep us up to date!
    ...See More

Furniture ideas for LR

Q

Comments (12)
    Adding a sectional would really limit seating placements if you'd like to change things around. Since you have ample space for a couch, loveseat and recliners, you should go with that. I've created 2 separate areas using a partition here. you could also eliminate that if you like an open layout or place a chest of drawers/ console to the back of the couch. Do let me know if you'd like to see any layout or furniture options in this mock up.
    ...See More

Asymmetrical LR: Please help BEFORE we buy furniture! Photos & details

Q

Comments (31)
    I'm back and am sorry to have deserted this post after receiving such great feedback. Our family was out of town for a bit, and then we had school prep for kids, etc. I finally managed to rearrange furniture and have posted some photos here with my comments below them. As always, I *really* appreciate feedback. I'm ready for new furniture so I can post "after" photos! Thanks in advance. Current sofa - centered in front of fireplace. I DO love the symmetry this provides. It's a little more cramped near the entry than I'd like (see next photo), but might be okay. Still not sure how I would configure other furniture though. Space between centered sofa and corner as you walk in through foyer. Disregard furniture in the background. :) View of entry from great room. Sofa in the window. Nice to use that space, but I'm not a fan. It exacerbates the asymmetrical shape of the room, blocks the view, and isn't very functional. Centered sofa and chair and a half in front of window. The chair is too close to TV here, but this configuration might work with smaller, cleaner-lined furniture. Or possibly a sectional with short section in front of the window? From foyer. Sofa is pulled back as far as I would want without making the walkway behind it too narrow (see previous photos). View of chair on short wall with centered sofa. Note: I can't have two chairs opposing each other, because even if this chair was moved all the way to the edge of the wall behind it, the opposite chair near window sit right next to the TV corner.
    ...See More

Furniture and Book Storage in Long Narrow LR

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for info. Take the books out of each tote, set them up, measure them, repack, move on to the next tote. The corner on the upper right could be a good location for a pair of bookcases. Sauder makes good budget level bookcases but don't overload the shelves with extra heavy coffee table books. Stanley makes much nicer, sturdier ones. Built-ins would be ideal once you settle in and know what works for your floor plan.
    ...See More
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Here is one more possibility - to bring in both the M. Spice AND the Agave from the playroom through your FR curtain colors. The S&M panels you are considering for the DR could work in the FR. I also found another pair (also S&M) that have both red and green in them.

I think this would be harder to do, and actually had so,e trouble finding pillows in the right colorways, but thought I'd toss it out anyway.

I can't tell you how frustrating it can be doing arm chair decorating! As groveraxle said recently, picking colors off a monitor is only slightly easier than picking them blindfolded!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Btw, is this pattern no longer a contender? ,I don't recall seeing it in your swatches.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Oh, I think I found it. It's this one? They looked different somehow.

So, the fabric doesn't feel heavy enough? Or the colors are off?
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes that is the one. First one I posted. I don't love the colors in person. I want to love it for that price. I will have to check out the other fabric you posted. I have to run to get the boys.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Good morning, toomany! That is a nice sofa that got posted on emimat's thread. It's probably too short for your LR at 55", but if you really like that style, I will watch for something similar - and less expensive!

Actually, it strikes me as the type of sofa you might find at zgallerie, but are they online only? And not sure what their prices are like.
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good morning karemore! I knew the sizing would be off but the styling just really caught my eye when I saw it pop up on her thread. The one wall in there is pretty big so I am going to need a much more substantial piece.

Hubby wants to have a house warming party at the end of May. Ummmm....does he know how much work I have left to do? lol!!!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    We have our work cut out for us!!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    I love the style of that one too - I love that it has great, modern style yet looks so comfortable.

So, is it worth checking zgallerie? Still not overly familiar with US options.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Actually, I will post it here - maybe someone will spot it and be able to direct you to an inexpensive version:
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am not really familiar with zgallerie. If we have any around here I have never noticed one.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    I just checked their website and they are all over US, but no stores in the New England states. Are you planning a trip to Florida lol? I see they are there!

I was thinking the shape of the arms also somehow echoes the lines of your armoire.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    You were originally considering the Pier One sofa - I think it would still look good. It is a nice bridge between trad and contemporary.

Now that your walls are painted Beach Glass, I'm thinking the Flax color would look good.

Also, I'm not sure if you like Pier One's bobbin chair, but the colors do work really nicely with the colors of your home. You wouldn't have to work hard at all to put that room together!
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That Bobbin chair makes me think of the islands
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not too sure about the quality of Pier One furniture though
  • bwizzle99
    10 years ago
    You could hit up a flea market or garage sale, maybe fix some stuff up? A small table with some decorative books or some flowers in the corner maybe? Good luck!
  • erinbono
    10 years ago
    Your house is fabulous, toomany!! All your hard work on picking the right colors totally paid off. Love the colors and they all work so beautifully together!!
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you erin! It was a lot of working picking the colors and I still have tons of decorating to do here.
  • erinbono
    10 years ago
    It looked like a LOT of work---but the colors work so beautifully together!! Congrats-- you'll be enjoying the payoff for many years to come ;)
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure about Pier One quality either - since it is a room that won't get a lot of use, maybe Pier One would be fine?
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    The Pier One scalloped curtains in green/blue look like they would work very nicely in your LR, toomany.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    And, just picturing the color of the DR wall nearby, the green kind of picks up on that and carries it through your space.
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Real quick do you like this chair for either the living room or possibly my master bedroom? Found one at Homegoods today and it just seemed like the perfect chair and was super comfy. I was just worried about the color being too white against the wainscotting in the living room. Plus what would I do with only one? The guy working there recommended looking for others at other stores though.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Hi toomany, It is very white. You probably,y dint have a use for it in your bedroom as a settee or bench would be more practical there.

And, yes, probably too white for the LR, but you wouldn't be able to decide for sure until you have picked out a sofa.

It's such a great price, but I think it might be a pass. There will be other great deals, and something else will come along just when you need it!
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That's what I thought too. If only it were more of a burlap color. Although it probably wouldn't be in the store still if it was.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    It gives me a better idea of the look you are after. Modern lines, but still some curves. Burlap color keeps it casual. That's a very nice look!

The sofa is going to be tough. There aren't that many places to choose from, and we know what PB, RH and C&B Prices are like. Are there furniture stores in your area that aren't necessarily big national chains?

I wonder if West Elm is a possibility? Or, have you looked at their sofas?

I feel as though the sofa will be the jumping off point. With that, the rest will come together fairly easily. I just love your wall color so much - and it's such an easy color to coordinate with.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Good morning, toomany! I hope you are well - life with two young ones is hectic!

I was reading the decorating book, Young House Love, and came across this pic where the authors had used Morroccan Spice on a wall. I loved the turquoise pillow playing off the red walls and thought I'd share it with you.

Can't remember what colors and ideas we were playing around with for your FR - curtains, for example - but I wonder if turquoise would be an accent co,or you would like to see in this room? It would relate back to the Beach Glass color in your LR.

Showing a couple of pillows that would easily marry the two colors. Lots of choices on C&B too! but of course! the prices are getting up there unless you can catch them on sale.

Hope you are getting out with the kiddies - always a stress reliever in the summer months! (Playgrounds were my favourite hangout!)
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Actually, that paisley pattern on the first pillow would make an awesome pattern for your DR curtains:)
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi karemore!!! Hope you are doing well.

Interesting to see how the teal color pops right off the moroccan spice. I really like that painting in the book also. A little bit of color but not overwhelming. I find the family room with the moroccan spice walls so lovely but I am having a really difficult time trying to decide which route to take with the decorating, especially the curtains.

I have been such a slacker on this decorating thing. I might be taking a summer break from it lol! The dining room will be really easy to finish up. I really just need some curtains and some stuff for the walls but eh I would rather play outside with the kiddos.

I do keep going back to this one curtain from PB for the dining room. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/cynthia-palampore-pole-pocket-drape/?pkey=cpattern-drapes-curtains&cm_src=pattern-drapes-curtains||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
    Maybe I should just take the plunge and go for it. They also have a newer curtain which might be a good option too
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/magarite-embroidered-drape/?pkey=cpattern-drapes-curtains&cm_src=pattern-drapes-curtains||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

To me the second one seems more formal since there is more white/ivory background to it.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Good morning, toomany, Good to hear from you! I get the need for a break. And, yes, summer is just so lovely and all-too-short, so get outside as much as possible! It will renew your energy for the decorating, allow you to top up the bank account, and by autumn, the baby will be almost a year old and things will be maybe - hopefully - a tad easier?

It's funny - I thought of both those curtains a ways back, but didn't think you'd go with them. Seems to me you don't normally care for floral patterns? Anyway, of the two, I agree that the Cynthia Palampore would be more casual, and I personally prefer that pattern anyway. The Margaritte seems a little folk-ish, kind of like Swedish Country or something like that. Anyway, I see the Cynthias are on sale too - bonus!

If you're sure you like them, I'd go for them. It will feel like such a huge accomplishment for little time and money. And it will make you feel like that room is almost done!

I didn't go on your DR thread as I thought you might appreciate some fresh eyes. So, I didn't keep track of what suggestions were made, or whether anything has been done. Are you still looking for a buffet/sideboard in there? Do you actually need the sideboard for storage, or could a console table work?

Are you looking for art in the DR? Or a mirror? I am thinking that with the Cynthia curtains, either a mirror or a very simple, background-y piece of art (like that one above, from the book) would look great. This way, we wouldn't have anything competing with the curtains. Do you want this room to have a very casual feel?

And, the FR - do you want/need some art in there? I should go to my Pinterest boards - I remember posting some abstract that was little more than cloud-like variations of color, and the pieces were quite large - and it was very affordable. If you have a wall in the FR that could accommodate a large piece, maybe this could work. Or maybe the DR? I'll go have a look, then post it.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Here is a small sampling of the abstract art. The site is Libby Fine Art. This might not appeal to you as much as that subtly striped one, though?

I am sure the couple who wrote the book did that art themselves. It does look easy to do, but I realize that time is a luxury you don't have these days!

Also, here's a C&B pillow with colors that seem to work so well with your own colors.
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You are right! I typically don't love floral prints but when I was shoppping back then I kept coming up with all sorts of florals that had a good range of colors to go with the color scheme in the house. I do prefer clean and crisp lines more like the abstract art in the Young House Love book. Those Cynthia curtains have been in the back of my mind but I have not quite pulled the trigger since they are floral.

I didn't get much feedback on the DR thread and then I took a break for a bit. Most of the comments were related to the chandelier in the room being changed. I don't think I am ready for that project yet. Although they houzzers made a good point that the chandelier should be chosen before the art otherwise they could potentially compete with each other.

I would like the room to feel casual even though it is more of a formal dining room. It is the first room people see when they walk in the house so I want it to be warm and inviting but not stuffy. If people are over I want them to feel comfortable enough to just go in there and have a seat.

I had a piece of art I was going to use in the dining room but as big as it was in the old house it appears very small on the long wall in the dining room. A suggestion was to flank the art with sconces but I also think the art might be a bit too dark for the room. I have a mirror I could try in there from my old dining room but I think it will also be a bit too small for that wall.

No comments on curtains which to me sort of set the tone for the rest of the room.
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I LOVE that pillow!!! Why can't I find curtains like that haha!!! Let me go poke around on C&B site maybe they have some coordinating curtains for that pillow.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    It looks like C&B has introduced a whole whack of new curtains, and I'm thinking some of these could work in the FR. They look quite sheer, so you would have to consider light/privacy, but it might be a nice look to do the sheers and then hang white textured roman shades as a supplement. I'm pretty sure overstock.com has a good selection of these.

Anyway, here are a few to consider:
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    And here's an idea for the DR - you might like this better than the florals?
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Lol, it looks like you are discovering the same curtains as I type!

Well, let me see if I can find more.......
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Also, can you post the link to the DR thread here? And if I comment, do you want me to do it on that thread? Or, would you rather drop that one for now?

With the DR, I don't think it matters what you use as your jumping off point. Choosing the art first works - because the art would set the tone for the chandy choice. It can work either way.

And, choosing curtains first is also feasible.

I would like to see your mirror and your art that you think might be too small. And, do you love the art? Is your preference to use it, if at all possible? Or, can we use it in the bedroom or sitting area upstairs?
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Wow, CB2 has some nice pillows in your colors also. Do you live near a CB2?

So, for example:
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    First let me post the link to the DR thread. Feel free to comment there or here. Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't get too much feedback on the DR thread. You can see the art in the thread and I will add a picture of the mirror in a bit.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/finishing-touches-for-dining-room-dsvw-vd~978990
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I do like the sheer curtains for the family room. I am not sure I would really even need to put anything on the window besides them. I like the open feel of it now but need something on the windows to soften the room and add some more decoration.

I also really like the ones you picked up for the dining room. Were those from crate and barrel? I don't remember them or maybe I just missed them.

I do not have a CB2 near me but it looks like I need to go find there page to poke around on for some ideas.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Yes,the DR curtains were also CB. They were a little pricey, but then my Canadian site always shows higher prices. I forgot to check if they were lined, and lining would bring the price up. But, lined means they hang better.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Just saw your link to the DR thread, and if see the mirror and your art.

I'm wondering if that art could work in the FR? Maybe keep that idea on the back burner for a bit.

So, remember the teal ceramic lamp I posted for, I think, your bedroom? And, emimat got a similar one for her FR? Well, lampsplus also has this cutie for $99. It is just under 34" high, so a nice height. Only takes a 100 watt bulb, so no tri-light. In the DR, you could put maybe 40 watt bulbs in it, for the ambience.

But what if.....what if......you did something like this?

And mount the mirror over the sideboard, placing one lamp on each side?
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    I think the teal color would be the perfect thread that weaves your main floor spaces together. It can morph into turquoise in the FR maybe, and then upstairs, of course, it re-appears as spa blue in your bedroom.

Looking at your DR pics again, it appears you have a other sideboard on that shorter wall between the two doorways? A smaller piece of art could go here. Showing an 8X10 water color below from an etsy vendor. It is only $20., but needs to be framed. It comes in different colorways.

Also, I came across the second pic the other day - it is from World Market. I wonder if this could work in your LR?
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Also, I do like that rectangular chandy that studio1001 posted. It looks modern and traditional all at once, and would create a great visual from the entryway.

But, the chandy can certainly wait since you have so much else to do!

And I liked LB's suggestion of painting the return vent, light switch and thermostat the Silken Moss color so that they "disappear". But, again, maybe in 5 years, hey?
  • toomanywhitewalls
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    After taking the pictures of the mirror and art last night I definitely like the mirror better but will need to find a way to make the wall look less empty. I think there will still be lots of empty looking space.

And I do have two sideboards. We had a smaller one in the old house and found the other larger one at a garage sale for a price that could not be refused. The dining room is plenty big and I don't think it feels overwhelming in there. Plus they are both well stocked up.

I am going to take another look at the curtains. Our dining room is more brown than the swatch you posted. If I remember correctly it is Tea Chest. I lost track though we had so many color choices.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Good morning, toomany, I had lost track too! Well, let's have a look at Tea Chest next to the curtains. Keep in mind that you don't have to see the exact color of the walls in the pattern. As long as it harmonizes, it's good.

I threw in that one piece of art to get a read on teal as an accent in this room.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Good morning, toomany! I hope you are enjoying great weather at the beach this weekend. We live near beaches, but the weather hasn't been very conducive to suntanning lately. Still waiting for that glorious heat lol!

I came across some substantial dining chairs on World Market site that I thought could work for you. If you placed one chair on each side of the buffet, I think your wall would fill in nicely.

The heights of these chairs should all be a little higher than your wainscotting, which I estimate to be 36"? So, the chairs should clear that by a bit - and having arms on them raises their importance, so that they hold their own in the wall. And, of course, they are totally functional as the heads of the table.

The solid chair obviously would work with just about anything. Adding a cute lumbar pillow to them would give them more character. The patterned ones look like they would work with your colors. Your curtains would then be a solid or maybe a stripe or other geometric.

More to consider - hopefully, this is helpful to you!
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Two of the patterned ones almost look like they could work with the C&B curtains. You would definitely want to compare in person. Again, doesn't have to be an exact match - just the same undertones.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    That paisley pattern is mimicking the diamond pattern of the curtains.