SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stellawatkins

Is a Bertazzoni range worth the price?

stellawatkins
10 years ago
I'm trying to decide between a (beautiful) Bertazzoni range or a Jenn Air range. Anyone own a Bertazzoni? Do you love it or hate it? I'm trying to be rational about the purchase and not just buy because I love how clean and uncluttered it looks..... Opinions?

Comments (652)

• Janey Dowe
    2 years ago

Hi all! So... with the oven... I had a similar issue as reported earlier upthread, about the oven not maintaining the flame. I'd open, ignition clicks 2 seconds, release, turn to temp, and the flame would light but then go out. So I watched the following video https://youtu.be/u20nwW9nHss

and understood why.

There is a thermocoupling system in the oven. The thermocoupling system is temperature-based. It senses that gas is flowing but if its temperature is low, it assumes that there is no flame and shuts off the gas.

This is why one is asked to immediately turn the oven temperature to HIGH 500F for a short bit on lighting, THEN turn the temp to the desired level. A 500F flame will heat up the thermocoupler! Once the thermocoupler warms up, it recognizes that gas is flowing and keeps the flame lit. You can then turn down the temperature to whatever you like.

On my second batch of bread today!

😁😁😁

• Janey Dowe
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

OH and just to add - YES there is venting out the front. Ovens have to vent. They can either vent out the back or through a hole in the centre of the cooktop (my my old Whirlpool Gold) or through the front. If you want the luxury of a countertop depth range, venting is through the front.

I have found that the fan for my oven cycles on and off, every 5 minutes. Waaaay better than the continual "on" of my previous ranges. I have found that the air vented is warm, not hot, and that my teeny tiny kitchen heats up far less with my Berta than it did with my GE, Frigidaire, or Whirlpool. I've actually measured this with three portable thermometers - one on the countertop, one on my fridge, and one in the stairwell. Over a 90 minute 350F bake time, the kitchen temperature has risen by 1.5-2C. With my Whirlpool Gold, there was a 3-4 C increase routinely. And the best part is that the OTR microwave fan does not need to automatically kick in because of the heat like it did with my other top venting ranges. THAT was unbearable - the oven fan AND the OTR microwave fans going off at the same time, all the time.

As for "smells" - dang, cooking makes smells, right? And good ones, too. Your overhead extractor fan is for stovetop cooking, to extract smoke/grease/steam and will automatically kick in when it detects excessive heat. I've never turned it on purposefully for oven baking, and don't know of anyone who does. Besides, your typical 400 cfm recirculating extractor fan on your OTR microwave does very little, anyways.

Loving my Berta!!!!

• Related Discussions

Bertazzoni Professional vs. American Range 30'

Q

Comments (6)
    I looked at the 30" Berta today in person, and thought it was OK, but ultimately felt less substantial than the DCS, Thermador, and Viking next to it. Now considering Viking as well. I like the way they look and really feel like the bad comments are exaggerated. Here's a question: Between Viking and American, will Viking have substantially better curb-appeal/resale when it comes to selling a home?
    ...See More

Bertazzoni - 5 or 6 Burner? Pricing?

Q

Comments (1)
    We just returned from looking at a Bertazzoni. Prices quoted (stainless) were $3,499 for 6 burners. $3,249 for 5 burners.
    ...See More

Capital Precision range or Bertazzoni Range?

Q

Comments (12)
    I can't comment about how BS compares to Capital. I liked the look of the BS better than both Capital and American (for my kitchen) and I bought a six burner 36" BS RCS. I've had it since February and I love it! It cooks incredibly well, the burners are very powerful, I'm not sure what I'd do with higher btu's :-) I've mentioned this in another thread about the BS RCS, I don't sear meat. I could see having higher btu's for that could be helpful (I think both Capital and American have higher btu's than the RCS line), though fish sears great on the RCS. And the btu's on the RCS have plenty of power for stir frys. You won't feel lacking in power imo for either of those. The oven heats up fairly quickly for a 36" oven imo and bakes very evenly. Cookies, bread, pizza, roasted veggies, broiled fish all come out perfectly. I saw a comment on your other thread about 30" vs 36" range that a larger range requires a larger hood which costs more. Tis true! If you do decide to go with the 36" (or 30" for that matter) you might want to look at either a Prizer or a BS hood b/c you'll get a discount b/c you bought a range and hood together from the same manufacturer (or you should-ask if they don't offer it to you). Prizer is BS's parent company btw. Depending on your hood choice (model, cfm's you want) it might be less expensive to get one of these brands, saving you some money. Worth looking into anyway, not pushing you towards either :-)
    ...See More

Please Help Me Choose My 36" Gas Range (Big Chill; Smeg; Berlazonni)

Q

Comments (41)
    We're late to this discussion, but we have just finished a multi-state tour of kitchen showrooms looking at "professional" ranges, cute and otherwise. A deciding factor for us proved to be the oven temperature-setting. Bluestar/Big Chill and many others have very poor controls for oven temp setting. Some are coarse, upside-down, or both. It seems that the cuter the range, the worse this is. Doesn't anyone bake anymore? How did these controls get into these kinds of ranges? Why do cheap gas stoves have better oven temp setting? The answer might be that in a commercial kitchen, various ovens are set to specific temperatures at the start of the day and they stay there. Actual oven thermometers are used to verify temps. Some cute ovens like Bertazzoni have thermometer indicators on their control panels but good luck trying to get consistent settings by just using the oven temp knob when you need to bake a cake at 350F and then roast some vegetables at 400F. We eventually chose a 36" GE Cafe in bronze and white. This series has a fairly precise oven control setting with actual temperature indication. We will order matching extra oven handles and adapt them to a large but fairly standard white side-by-side fridge, Whirlpool or GE. Here is a link to sources of other kitchen hardware that will match that special GE Cafe bronze: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5578436/hardware-to-match-ge-cafe-series-range-in-brushed-bronze
    ...See More
  • cryslunsford
    2 years ago

I would not recommend a Bertazzoni. We purchased the professional dual fuel range in March of 2020. We have had nothing but problems. They have refused to replace the stove even though it started malfunctioning with days of delivery. They have replaced the same parts over and over: the in oven temperature probe, the click face, the entire electrical component. We have had it serviced 10-12 times. We started experiencing the malfunction again in May of 2021. I have called nearly every week since. I have submitted two requests for replacement in this time. Yet we have received no service, no follow up in nearly three months. Customer service tells you what you want to hear to get you off the phone and then does nothing. I’m ready take legal action. It’s absolutely the worst customer service experience I’ve ever had. We are 17 months into a two year warranty. Today the customer service rep told my husband there was no record of requests for replace my even though I had received automatic reply confirmations from Bertazzoni.

• alfaromeo164
    2 years ago

3 1/2 years now with ours, not a single issue. Probably bad service from whom ever they contract with.

• cryslunsford
    2 years ago

@molly Schaffer I’m having the same problem. I make wedding cakes and the oven turns off with a level 4 error. Regularly. Customer service gives me lip service with no results. The team lead even was nasty to us when we told them we should be give a replacement since our stove has malfunctioned since purchase.

• Drew Marsh
    2 years ago

I think lawsuits and complaints to the FTC and CPSC should either cause this company to fix their issues or leave the US market.

• Jim Suppan
    2 years ago

I don't know how typical my situation is, but we are very disappointed with our Bertazzoni.

(we have a 30 inch, induction top). first issue, as several people seem to have indicated, the installers were very nice and polite and hooked it up wrong. it was not properly grounded, which my daughter discovered when she touched the case of the range and our fridge.

Contacted Bertazzoni, who sent a service rep who idetnified the problem, but to correct would mean replacing our three prong receptacle (and the oven's three prong cord) with a four and cost about $150. Luckily I spent a few years as an electrician and was able to do this work myself.

Also, the round central control/thermometer/clock is loosely connected to the metal of the casing with no real reinforcement, this makes it shift and juggle while you attempt to use the buttons on it, and it seems to take fairly forceful pushes to get the controls to register, it was eventually replaced, with very little improvement.

Then, We tried to run the self cleaning feature on the oven, only to have the glass implode. This is unfortunately not too rare, it just takes a micro fracture in the glass to trigger. This can occur if a rack is sticking out slightly and the door closes on it. Unlike most ovens, the glass is frameless, in most oven doors, the door frame, not the glass itself would strike the rack. Don't know for sure if such even happened, micro fractures can occur in manufacturing the glass, during installation, or shipping. Another call to Beritzonni, and our tech came out and replaced the door glass.

We also began getting error codes (80:130, 80:150, 50:130, 50:150) and other messages. Another set of calls and our service rep thinks that the induction top in interfering with the circuits in the oven (Who would have thought that magnetism and heat might mess up computer circuitry?) snark aside, they did try to rearrange some wiring which seemed to have worked briefly, but the errors have returned.

If it was just throwing codes, I could live with it, but the oven will randomly shut off during preheat, jump temperatures, and can not be relied on, as my wife loves baking, and unlike cooking a piece of meat, temperature changes and the oven shutting off, can be catastrophic, so she needs to constantly monitor the oven when baking.

And more often than not recently, when it errors, I need to disconnect power and have it reset as it won't respond to the controls at all.

I've gone through several weeks of contacting Berazzoni, them assuring me they have contacted our local servicer, and we hear nothing back. They have my home phone which is on an answering machine, they have my work cell, which Is always with me (and has voicemail if I can't answer), but nothing.

So basically I have a $5,000 stove top attached to a useless oven that has imploded once, most of our baking is done in a counter top toaster oven, and our display is just mostly flashing 50:130

--I felt spending that kind of money for an oven was ridiculous regardless, but my wife assured me that you pay for quality and it would be the last range we ever needed to buy. I am quite sorry I relented.

• PRO
    Bertazzoni
    2 years ago

Hi Jim, we truly apologize for this inconvenience and are committed to making sure you receive assistance. Would you please provide us with your Name, Phone Number, Email Address, Product Model Number, Place of Purchase, Date of Purchase, Location, Issue, and Who you have been speaking with at after sales service team via direct message so we may look into your case? Thank you, The Bertazzoni Team

• Jim Suppan
    2 years ago

I have a service Appointment on 09/03...We'll see how it goes.

• PRO
    playful hearts design studio
    2 years ago

My boyfriend was turning on the light (and I believe the convection feature) and it was causing things to overheat too much. Ours runs hot but we turn it down 25 degrees or so and check it regularly and seems to do okay.

• HU-783372967
    2 years ago

I have a Jenn Air and isnt worth the box they put it in. if you love to cook, dont buy Jenn Air. the burners are to close to the heat, you can’t adjust them low enough. Only one burner is called a simmer burner and even that doesnt really adjust to a simmer temperature. buying the jenn air was the biggest mistake that i made in my kitchen. the convection oven is not great. lower price pount stives have better convection ovens. i am looking into replacing my Jenn Air with a Bertazzoni or similar Italian made stove, or cooktop and wall oven.

• Lucia Wallace
    last year

Has anybody found a way to fix this issue, either with a spare part or workaround? Our Bertazzoni range (came with the house) also blows hot air into the room, and I would really like to actually use an oven occasionally during the summer months, which right now is basically impossible (we don't have an A/C). It also consistentl runs abour 25-50 degrees less hot than the knob asks for (which makes me think that the heat loss through the slit where the hot air blows out)..

• Janey Dowe
    last year

Hi there! Bertas are designed to vent out the front as they are true cabinet-depth ranges. All ranges vent either out the front or most commonly through a hole in the top of the range. My old Pro line Frigidaire did this. You don't get the same sense of heat with the top vent, but EVERY time I baked, the microwave fan would automatically turn on due to it sensing a huge rise in temperature. Now THAT was annoying - serving guests in our attached eat-in area with a microwave fan at full ON and not being able to turn it off! I have a thermostat in my un-airconditioned kitchen and find that it doesn't raise the temperature overall significantly. It just feels that way because of where it vents. I think my kitchen got hotter with my top-venting range tbh. And yes, I use my oven year-round, especially for bread baking 2xweek and bundt cakes - my favorite!

• Architectural Notice
    last year

When I purchased my new range a year or two ago, I debated between Bertazzoni, Blue Star and Fisher & Paykel. I read a very negative review about Bertazzoni's oven which turned me off on purchasing that brand.

I ended up purchasing a Fisher & Paykel gas range. While not perfect, I haven't had any problems with it and am generally happy with it.

• Cris Garrido
    last year

Well, four years on and very happy with our Berta. No regrets.

• Drew Marsh
    last year

Jim, what happened with your service appt. We’ve loved out Berta for 11 years

• llilibel
    last year

10 years. Zero problems. Used at least twice a day.

• Diane DelVecchio
    last year

Bertazzoni 36" Induction....LOVE IT!

• saba99
    last year

Thank you all for your comments. My wife is a serious pro chef and has a Youtube Channel. She previously was culinary chef for Williams Sonoma and wrote many recipes for them and was the tester for all new products to determine if they are good enough to sell. Needless to say our oven or stovetop gets used heavily. We rarely eat out because for me, eating out is a culinary downgrade (very blessed and realize it). We ordered from Costco the top of the line LG oven that received highest rating by Consumer Reports. I was debating if we should look into the Bertazzoni as it has a better look and may be better looking in our new kitchen remodel. It appears from all the comments that this will turn into a nightmare and a headache that we certainly don't want or need. My wife without a working oven is like a fish out of water and I cannot imagine her surviving more than a week waiting for parts or a technician. Anyway, thanks to all and for saving us a lot of grief.

• Aunt Arctica
    last year

4 years and going strong, one of the best purchases we have made. Installers MUST know how to install AND adjust the stove though. Berta will assist in that. Our installers didn't know how to do it and we had to have them come back and do it right, which our store was willing to have them do. The installer actually talked with someone from Berta while he was here. We do not have any of the fancy stuff, no self-cleaning, Just the Pro series. It was the only stove we could find that had none of the electronic gobledy gook and a decent, turkey roasting sized oven (which Bluestar does not, it is a shallow oven, wide, but shallow). JennAir had tons of complaints, as did most stoves. The person suing needs to confirm that the installer is not the reason for the problems. Anyhoo, love our simple, straightforward, hard-working stove. In terms of venting, you have a choice of up the back and in your face on some stoves, or out front like on Berta. I prefer the front. Anyhoo.

• dvfx
    last year

I had a full Miele kitchen, never had any problems for years and used the self-cleaning only a few times. One of our ovens broke (locked open strangely) just as we were selling the house. Our amazing Eastern European appliance tech, fixed it promptly and said "NEVER use the self-cleaning feature" He said it gets way hotter than normal use and is the cause of 99% of oven failure. Hope this helps someone out there! Our other place had all KitchenAid and WhirlPool and everything worked really well - maybe just as good or better than the high-end stuff and Also as I was touring a high-end loft the owner was there and had a Bertazzoni range, and I commented on how beautiful it was, his response was "yeah, It's a piece of sh#t" - something about lots of problems. Soooo something to think about. I love the look of them but ....dunno

• jessdouglas30
    last year

We have a 36" 6 burner dual fuel bertazonni. Do not buy one of these. The glass in the oven door pops out every time we use the oven, luckily hasn't broke yet. Convection didn't work from the day we got it. The computer portion never worked either, no timer, no programming. Just simply did not work. We have been reporting this problem for the past 7-8 months, been on the phone 20-30x's and NOTHING has happened. No service, not that I believe service would help and NO talk of replacement or actual warranty. We thought we were buying a high end stove, this is actually a cheaply manufactured and cheaply engineered range, that is somehow sold for a premium price. PLEASE for your own good, do not buy a bertazonni range.

• Rich Lodato
    last year
    last modified: last year

We purchased the six burner professional and I’m on the end of month one. I’m the primary cook. My first thoughts after a couple of weeks: The cons- I would prefer a grill that isn’t so sparse. Can‘t even roast a pepper and small pans are annoying.. Not a deal breaker but.. I don’t like the way the burners ignite. It’s odd and awkward. Not fond of the front vent for the oven. The forced air hits the front burner a little swaying the flame. The oven light is always on while oven is on. The good- Beautiful. Cooks consistent and reliably. I love the lack of electronics. I like the oven size, its really big. Easy to clean. I’m sorry some people are having issues, I hope I don’t!

• Tara Chandler
    last year

Run far far away. I have had more issues wiht my $5000 range than a $500 whirlpool and their customer service does not follow through with anything. Worst customer service i have ever experienced

• yvondag
    last year
    last modified: last year

Terrible product I've had my duel fuel Bertazzoni Master Series for 5 years and have replaced the bottom burner 4 times!!! I mean how hard is it to make an oven than bakes?! Design is beautiful but awful $$$$ product. The fan noise is super annoying - you can't even have a conversation with someone in the same room! Like other reviewers said - the air blowing at you waist high is super dumb. Can you tel how upset I am over this stupid and $$$ product? I mean if it was expensive but reliable that would be fine - I knew I was paying a lot, but to not work as a basic oven? ha

• davidhunternyc
    last year

^^^ This is exactly why I did not get a Bertazzoni. "The fan noise is super annoying - you can't even have a conversation with someone in the same room!" Imagine if you have a small kitchen too. It's ridiculous, with all ovens, you go to the store and you see a beautiful, non-working floor model and the salespeople talk a good game, until they make the sale and then you're on your own. In the U.S., Bertazzoni doesn't care if your oven is broken or not.

• helen
    last year

I bought the Bertazzoni induction stove, dishwasher, french door frig, hood, and the convection microwave wall unit from Fergusson in USA. I can only say this.

Bad news:

1. The handles on fridge and dishwasher have to be added by the customer and there is no way to get them snug like the ones factory installed on the stove and wall ovens.
    2. The french door frig is NOT high quality. Drawers were warped. It only has an internal cube maker. NO crushed ice, shredded ice, no cold water dispensor, nor is there any filtering of water. For being high-end, it's more like I high-end price for a low end fridge!
    3. There is a metal issue on the convection microwave and it does not match the other appliances because the grain is different and its not glossy like the other appliances. They have issues with quality control.
    4. Their customer service through True Blue is the worst I have ever witnessed in my entire 60 years on this planet!!! Thousands of emails and calls... yes THOUSANDS!!!

Good news:

1. I love my induction stove and how industrial it looks.

I think after all I've been through with them the past year, I would go with a different brand that stands behind their products and has exceptional quality controls in place.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I have a Bert it is all gas 6 burner with wok burner it is 15 yrs old not one service call or issue I run a catering biz from my home so it is well used every day. I do not know anything about the induction ones but I think ther eis NO maker that makes everything well and I never let my clients buy a pkg from any one maker

• Cheryl D'Amico
    7 months ago

I have purchased Bertazzoni appliances for my last two homes but I will never buy their products again because of poor customer service. In 2021 we bought all Bertazzoni appliances for our new home. The refrigerator was defective from day one, the doors and drawers didn’t seal causing frost to build up and the ice maker didn’t work. We reported the problems right away and the Bertazzoni authorized repair company advised that the doors should be replaced. Bertazzoni refused, but suggested other fixes, after 7 service calls we continued to have the same issues. We asked that they simply replace the fridge and they refused. Now because the parts for replacing seals and such were not received until after the warranty expired they are refusing to pay for any of the parts and service, even though these issues were reported within the first month of the warranty. Also we never received the Bertazzoni microwave, and after waiting a year, we had to find another brand that would fit the custom cabinet designed for their drawer microwave. Their customer service folks were rude, unresponsive and dragged out the repair until the warranty expired. Despicable behavior in my opinion.

• Cheryl D'Amico
    7 months ago

I have purchased Bertazzoni appliances for my last two homes but I will never buy their products again because of poor customer service. In 2021 we bought all Bertazzoni appliances for our new home. They are beautiful, but the company doesn’t back their product. The refrigerator was defective from day one, the doors and drawers didn’t seal causing frost to build up and the ice maker didn’t work. We reported the problems right away and the Bertazzoni authorized repair company advised that the doors should be replaced. Bertazzoni refused, but suggested other fixes, after 7 service calls we continued to have the same issues. We asked that they simply replace the fridge and they refused. Now because the parts for replacing seals and such were not received until after the warranty expired they are refusing to pay for any of the parts and service, even though these issues were reported within the first month of the warranty. Also we never received the Bertazzoni microwave, and after waiting a year, we had to find another brand that would fit the custom cabinet designed for their drawer microwave. Their customer service folks were rude, unresponsive and dragged out the repair until the warranty expired. Despicable behavior in my opinion.

• helen
    7 months ago

The comment above typifies my experience! I have a compleye set! Hood is rusted now! Frig is not luxury one bit. Loads of problems eith drawers. Stove is beautiful, wall oven finish doesn’t match others. For $13,000.00 I would get something else!!!

• Kate Spak
    6 months ago

I wanted to love this range--and did for a while. However, it never really worked properly. The temperature gauge was never true, but I know that you must always use a thermometer to test oven temperatures. After less than 4 years of using it almost every day, we heard a loud electrical "pop" while using the cooktop. After that, the oven didn't work. After two trips from our trust appliance service, they were able to get the oven working with a part that even Bertazzoni was at a loss at first to recommend. $500 later and "fixed" the temperature was really wonky. It ran back and forth from 200 degrees to 500 degrees. I had to watch everything in the oven so it wouldn't burn. Another part had to be ordered (at least another $100), and it's now 3 weeks, and the part has yet to arrive. Yesterday the oven quit working completely again. Now, I'm really questioning if I should continue trying to have this repaired and just move on to another gas range. The holidays are coming, and this is unacceptable. I am probably going to buy an American-made range, so I won't have the parts issue. My recommendation: Don't waste your money on Bertazzoni unless you don't cook much and want a good-looking range. Spend a little more and get a Viking, Wolf, or Blue Star. At least you're buying a solid product made in the U.S.

• bstein1224
    5 months ago

Bertazzoni high-end range/oven is NOT worth the price. Brand new oven is not working properly and we've encountered several issues. 1) Flames even on low and simmer run excessively HIGH. Had to pay for a repairman to come to re-calibrate the burners. 2) the oven clock and meat probe constantly stop functioning and took 6 months to order a new probe. 3) LAST BUT NOT LEAST, our first attempt at using the self-cleaning oven (oven is only 1.5 yrs old) exploded 1 hour into the cycle. The inner glass panes of the oven door shattered into the interior of the oven. Attempts at speaking to Bertazzoni, their official service dept, warranty providers, customer support teams was a JOKE. The wrong parts were shipped and even then, no urgency to resolve the problem. We have been given the run-around for 2 months. I just spoke to 2 parts distributors directly who confirmed that no-one in the U.S has the part in stock, but ITALY has it. Shame on Bertazzoni. If money were no object, I'd throw this oven out and purchase a different one. I will NEVER buy a Bertazzoni product again. Barb Stein, Salisbury CT.

• llilibel
    5 months ago

Ours is ten yeras old. Zero problems. Love it.

• bstein1224
    5 months ago

Hate mine. Burners run VERY high and are hard to re-calibrate. Used self-cleaning oven feature for the 1st time and the inner glass doors exploded. I haven't had an operating oven for 2 months. and the staff in EVERY dept at bertazzoni are impossible to deal with. They keep blaming others. They should have ordered replacement parts weeks ago. TERRIBLE experienc;e. I'll never buy Bertazzoni again.

• bstein1224
    5 months ago

to: Lillibel in response to my post. Nice that you've had a bertazzoni for 10 years with no problems. But that is no excuse for the lack of service to repair mine. Bertazzoni's staff, across numerous depts has been non-responsive. Their colleagues from the warranty dept, customer support, service dept, claims dept show no urgency or conern. They have finger-pointed and even blamed the repair company for shipping the wrong replacement parts even after proving that Bertazzoni was in error. It took me making one phone call to one of their local distributors to learn that U.S is out of stock on the part to fix the exploded glass for our oven door but that ITALY has been in stock. This part should have been ordrered weeks ago. Glad your oven is operable. Hope you never have to have any part of it repaired or serviced.

• Kate Spak
    5 months ago

Yesterday, I had my 5-year-old Bertazzoni carried out of here and installed a Monogram. The oven literally blew up (dual fuel range). I had a repairman here twice. We could not get the parts from Bertazzoni, and live in an area where it should be easy to get parts. I wish I would have spent more money five years ago and purchased a better range.

• HU-361535549
    4 months ago

I have now had a Bertazzoni Range for 3 years and have had to have 3 separate service calls. Since I am no longer under warranty, the most recent one was on my own dime. I live in the Washington DC area and all of there service work is sub contracted out. Last year my range/oven was out of commission from mid November thru early January because there was no availability with a service tech. I would not recommend Bertazzoni and would not buy from them again.

• Julie Renfroe
    4 months ago

Stay away from this brand. Our oven caught on fire and their customer service was terrible. they had zero follow through. The problem occurred within less than a year of us installing the oven. It took months to get help and when I told them there were still problems with the oven after the repair they said it was now over two years old and no longer covered under warranty. They would cover the parts, but not the labor. Seriously. Stay away.

• Dominic Quin-Harkin
    4 months ago

THank you all for the comments... It seems as though the trend from 5 years ago to present

(other than service) is it seems a lot of electrical problems with oven and convection ranges... I'm going to assume that they have mimicked the low grade China wiring that I had on 2 of my stoves (thor), when normal daily use, the elctrical kept going out. I just feel that since 2018, I've been looking for a solution, and seen more and more electrical problems across the 2k-3k ranges for ppl who actually like to bake bread frequently. So my dilemma is now go for a dual fuel and risk the wires or relays shorting, or go for a gas range that either under or overcooks...

• Cris Garrido
    4 months ago

Mine is the 48” gas range with dual gas oven. The only things electric are the griddle and the pilot mechanism. NO self-cleaning! You need to read the manual and be on top of the set-up so the technician can calibrate the oven(s) temperature to correspond with the temperature in the knobs. The oven temps shouldn’t be off more than 25 degrees farenheit (gas ovens in general are never super accurate). Always use a couple of good thermometers purchased on Amazon (one for oven temperature and one for food temperature). Also, the fire on the stove top need to be calibrated so they can go really low, if needed (… for simmering). The entire range needs to be well leveled for cooking (have a pan with oil ready to test it yourself). Happy to report that our Berta has performed rock solid since we got it in June 2018 (knock on wood, LOL). The technician did come twice (second time after 6 months or so) for a few more adjustments. Very pleased with its baking capabilities. Love the potent wok fire. My husband loves the griddle for pancakes after he seasoned it correctly 5 years ago.

• Aunt Arctica
    4 months ago

Mine too is 2018. Simple stove. We have never used self-cleaning, never liked the idea. I love that our stove has safety knobs that do not light the burners if the knobs get knocked. And that it is a simple stove, some electronics, but pretty basic. Excellent cooking on top and in the oven. And, so pretty on top of that. Would buy again but will not have to for a long time. We did have to have it calibrated twice, but we put that on the installers. They called Berta as they were installing and got instructions right then on how to do it. We had to tell the installer to do the top burners too, and to level the stove LOL.

• bstein1224
    4 months ago

Not worth the price. It’s for people who want a pretty oven for show. I’ve had mine calibrated twice and still runs very hot. The inner glass exploded when using g self cleaning as demonstrated by our bertazzoni repair man. Then took months to get repaired. Ill never buy a bertazzoni product again

• Cris Garrido
    4 months ago

The self-cleaning mode is the root of so many headaches/complaints with many mid to high-end brands that feature this. Bertazzoni is not alone in this. Rule of thumb, never use it. But is one really creating such a mess inside when baking that it's so difficult to clean the oven by hand afterwards? I just don't get it.

An oven running too hot/low is just pure adjustment of the flame intensity, especially if it’s gas operated. So many technicians sadly do a half-ass job. If the technician is in a hurry to get to the next appointment, this will surely fail. Patience is required as the calibration and testing takes about one hour for each oven. Balancing and stove top flame calibration and fine adjustments another couple of hours with testing. Yes, easily half day gone for our technician on the first visit. The second visit for smaller adjustments took about 1.5 hours.

High-end stoves are indeed instruments - very much like expensive acoustic pianos. A Steinway will sound horribly if you end up with a mediocre technician/tuner. One thing is clear
    after spending big bucks on one, I wouldn’t hesitate to hire a different technician out of my own pocket to make it work/sound right.

• Cheryl D'Amico
    3 months ago

Great looking appliances. But lots of quality issues and customer service is just awful.

• richardparker
    3 months ago

There seems to be a pattern here. Commenters with older bertas like them and the newer ones get bad reviews. Call me Columbo.

• Aunt Arctica
    3 months ago

Disagree Richardparker. I think it's more about people not getting good installs, choosing fancier features, and trying to self-clean an oven (meaning fire your stove up to 500 degrees). Berta would be wise to just stop offering that feature.

• Cris Garrido
    3 months ago

Not sure, but I think that Dominic above is on to something - most of the problems seem to stem from their line of ranges with more bells and whistles: dual fuel (gas stovetop/electric oven instead of all gas only), self-cleaning (lots of chaos with this, but Berta is not alone with self-cleaning headaches). Buy a unit that’s gas-operated only, never use self-cleaning, read the manual yourself and have it well calibrated by the technician. You should be fine with this brand. The only electric thing on my 48” stove is the griddle and no problems whatsoever.

• Carlos Barrios
    3 months ago

I am a new poster here. But I literally am looking at my problem in the mirror countless times. Anyone interested in a class action law suit?

• davidhunternyc
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

First off, Bertazzoni has many electronics and computer chips behind the control panel. Just imagine baking or roasting at 425º degrees frequently and what that would do to the computers chips. They overheat and fail and Bertazzoni won't fix it. Bertazzonis are beautiful stoves but the beauty is only skin deep. I tried to buy one for years but I wanted to get Bertazzoni to agree to fix or replace the stove, in the contract, if something went wrong within 5 years. I talked to many higher-ups in the company and all I got was the runaround. I live in NYC too, not some far out of the way place where they wouldn't have technicians. Bertazzonis are lemons. I ended up buying a BlueStar, which had it problems too.