What Do You Know About Palliative Care and Hospice?
8 months ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (49)
- 8 months ago
Related Discussions
Do you care about your lawn?
Comments (54)gottagarden wrote: "My "lawn" is simply mown green weeds. If I used weedkiller, I wouldn't have anything left." Same here. I have Bermuda grass with wild grasses, perennial weeds, dandelions, and in a few spots, white clover. I think dandelions and clover are so pretty and they attract pollinators in the spring when they are blooming. I do fight to eradicate the Goat-head stickers though. (grrrr). The wild rabbits "plant" the seeds in the yard when they come down off the hill to browse. Once in awhile I have to dig them out. They were all over the back yard when I first bought this place. Too many to dig, so I spread weed and feed for a few years until they were gone. My chickens fertilize it so I don't need to anymore. I would LOVE to grow Eco-lawn. Very pretty. Looks to be a cool-weather lawn though, so it might not do too well here, except in spring. Now, I can walk barefoot and sit in the cool grass in the summertime. Grass is nice for star gazing on pleasant summer nights (another country pleasure - no city lights, so the stars are clear and bright). I enjoy mowing. Love the smell of fresh-cut grass and enjoy keeping it cut neat, although I am not a neat freak, so I don't fuss over it. It keeps the yard much cooler in the summertime and my family has croquet matches in the summer, especially on Easter and the 4th of July. What would croquet be without a lawn? And it just so happens that I love the color of grass - green! I brought some St. Augustine grass with me from Louisiana years ago and am now trying to get it established in certain areas. It is doing well down by the fish pond. It is not supposed to grow here because of our cold winter temps, but it does fine. Has to be watered in dry years, but otherwise it does fine on its own. Wouldn't grow in the back yard on the hillside though - too dry, but nice in the partial shade down where I grow my Tropicals. Easy to dig out if it ever invades the flower beds, unlike "devil Grass" (Bermuda) Hiss, Hiss ~ Annie...See MoreWe're in Hospice care now
Comments (7)Thanks for the kind words and thoughts and prayers. Mom is failing faster than was projected. We are probably looking at a weeks at most...unless she breaks out of this pattern of decline. The nurse comes this morning, so we will know more then. The terminal agitation is ramping up. Several grandchildren were in this weekend. She went from actually having a good conversation with one on Thursday to blank stares at the ceiling and incoherent speech on Friday. The oldest and most faithful grandson flew in from Boston to experience Friday only to come Saturday morning, and after she got oriented, he was blessed with a real conversation with her. They said their "I love yous". By Sunday when we returned from church early afternoon, we saw the the huge decline. Two more grandkids came and had to say their tearful goodbyes without Mom being very aware. A married grandson and his wife, from 5 hours away, saw her Sunday morning and my brother thinks mom knew they were there. Systems are starting to shut down more, but we are still feeling blessed to be able to have her here to care for. This is so hard, but still, the strength God gives us along with the peace and wisdom, is a joy to think about and experience. Trusting God for His plan, Terri...See Morewhat do you know about long term care insurance
Comments (52)gibby -- There was a reduced-benefit clause in the LTC policies we took, too. I was wrong when I wrote that we took them 15 years ago. It was 20! Also, we had to pay in for TEN years, not TWO, to (possibly) get something back. We'd paid in $11,000 in premiums at the end of ten years. This was a group LTC policy from Hancock, offered to us by my DH's then-employer. After ten years we became eligible for reduced-amount benefits. Each policy will pay $45/day for *skilled nursing care*, to a lifetime max of $82,000. The verbiage on any other type of care is obscure with lots of hoops and mazes. Looking at it now, I think we will have aided tbe taxpayer -- seems to me these benefits would reduce the cost of our care to Medicare. If I'd had any doubts about problems collecting on the policies, they were sustained when it took me six months to get a letter from Hancock stating that each of us had actually qualified for this reduced-benefit coverage. We eventually received single-page letters, undated and without signatures, with a lot of 'may qualify' and 'could be' phrasing. Their legal department could send us packing without breaking a sweat. Our situation is different than yours as to probable need for the policy. I'm glad you'll take that opt-out clause. You might want to see a letter stating exactly what YOUR reduced benefits will be, specific to YOUR policy and YOUR premiums, before you sign up....See MoreHow do you know what you know about old houses, etc?
Comments (14)Whoa, if you get a degree in industrial arts you get to acquire carpentry textbooks along the way?!? Sweet! Kim, I've always enjoyed/appreciated your contributions; given the wisdom of trial and error that was behind them, I see why they stood out. My mom got us a couple of the Reader's Digest fixit books (have to run downstairs, one of them might be the very one you have); I like the way they are encyclopedic and detailed. I know Jane Powell but not the Small Houses books (do you mean The Not So Big stuff by Susanka, or the Small House anthologies from Fine Homebuilding?) Thanks for mentioning books; I think I might start a reference book thread for this forum. Hey Casey, THANKS for taking the bait. And you are NOT a bloody genius, you are an old house DEITY for crying out loud! Would you please start your own show on youtube? Or maybe just a house tour? Even Petch house has youtube videos. Or, do you already have a project blog and everyone knows about it but me? Actually for someone with a degree in historic preservation, I am impressed with how low-key your posts come across; they read more like an old friend who's "been there" and wants to pass along lessons learned along the way, it's really very nice and encouraging. But if you ever want to browbeat me feel free; I would take it as a compliment. To be honest if I post about something I'm thinking of doing to my house, and you don't opine, I figure one of two things is going on: 1) you're not on the forum; or 2) you're politely disapproving. Most of the time I assume it's 2 because you seem to be pretty consistent around here. But I just want to say, and I hope I speak for many, that I love love love your posts, especially when I'm searching on a problem I'm trying to solve and something from you pops up! (PS I finally got around to using that general finishes gel varnish you recommended and it was fantastic, thank you; I will post photos to the woodworking forum sometime before the next census.) Oh, and I love the way you "aged" the color tones in the new pine beadboard in your kitchen; reminds me of the pine in my grandmother's kitchen. When I was really little I used to look at the gleaming pores and think it was the closest wood could get to 24K gold....See More- 8 months agolast modified: 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months agolast modified: 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months agolast modified: 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
- 8 months ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Counters: Stunning, Easy-Care Engineered Quartz
There's a lot to like about this durable blend of quartz and resin for kitchen countertops, and the downsides are minimal
Full Story
LIFETell Us: Do You Know How to Live With Your Parents?
If you've tried multigenerational living under one roof, we'd love to hear the details
Full Story
LIFE5 Things to Think About Before Adding an In-Law Suite
Multigenerational households are on the rise, but there’s a lot to consider when dreaming up a new space for mom or dad
Full Story
LIFEHow to Be More Intentional About Sentimental Clutter
These 7 questions can help you decide whether to keep, store or let go of those once-meaningful objects in your life
Full Story
UNIVERSAL DESIGN10 Questions to Ask Before Sharing Your Home With Aging Parents
Honest conversation is key to deciding whether it makes sense to have your parents move in with you
Full Story
DECLUTTERING9 Exit Strategies for Your Clutter
How to efficiently — and regularly — rid your home of the things you don’t want
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESEdit Keepsakes With Confidence — What to Let Go and What to Keep
If mementos are weighing you down more than bringing you joy, here's how to lighten your load with no regrets
Full Story
LIFE10 Ways to Cope With Grief During the Holidays
If you are experiencing loss, take it from an experienced griever — life has changed forever, but it does get better
Full Story
LIFEHow to Navigate an Extended Guest Stay
Keep sharing living quarters a positive experience by pondering the answers to these questions in advance
Full Story
PETSHouzz Call: Send in the Dogs
Have the greatest dog in the world? Share your best design photo featuring the dog you live or work with
Full Story
Kendrah